FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES

Jul 3, 2007

Birdie Swap ~ Apron


Here is another one of my "flights of fancy!" For the last decade, I have been collecting new and vintage aprons! Aprons evoke so many childhood memories. I love playing domestic dress up—so to speak—slipping into an apron as if it were a mood.

I have tried to rewind in order to determine where this attraction came from. The TV show, "Father Knows Best" is probably my most significant connection. Although my mother did not regularly don an apron, I always felt that aprons were the "serious" way to manage a home. After all, it worked for Jane!

Agnes was my neighbor growing up, and she had a daughter named Karen Marie who was my age. (My name is Karen June, so you can imagine Agnes calling out both of our names at once with her mid-western twang bending the syllables!) Agnes was quite the seamstress and I remember her making matching shifts and scarves for my Barbie and me. I also recall that she made us aprons!

A few houses down, Debbie's mom, Shirley, was always neatly attired in an apron when she served the family meals. The table was elegantly set for breakfast the night before with matching linens and egg cups at each place setting. For me, it was always about the apron...

Birdie Swap ~ Apron
Originally uploaded by The Felt Mouse

6 comments:

Barbara Jacksier said...

Hi, it's Barbara Jacksier from The Book Blog.

How can I get in touch with you?

Kj said...

Hi Barbara! Thanks so much for contacting me. Email me at kjmt42@sbcglobal.net and I can give you more information from there.

Lallee said...

Father Knows Best~I adored that show! Jane was always wearing an apron, wasn't she?

Thank you for visiting my blog. My son put my banner up for me on my blog. I know a little code stuff, but not how to do that part. I created the graphic myself in Photoshop and part of a logo I had for business once. Sorry I can't help. There is someone (I can't remember who) who does banners for blogs for a fee. I think she did the one for Rhoda at Southern Hospitality.

Lallee

Mrs.Kwitty said...

What an enjoyable read your blog is-- I just had to read it top to bottom! Seems we like a lot of the same things. I'm very glad that you stopped by my blog today so we could "meet"!
Smiles, Karen

KJ said...

Thanks, Karen! It's nice meeting YOU as well! I look forward to many more visits!

Best Blessings!

Apron Thrift Girl said...

what a gorgeous apron. I love the mix of the blue and orange. So lovely.