FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES

Jul 28, 2007

Earthquake Cake


This cake recipe can easily create a theme for us Californians, although earthquakes seem to be making peculiar visits elsewhere these days.

EARTHQUAKE CAKE

Spray 9x13 inch cake pan with Pam

Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans on bottom of pan

Layer 1 1/2 cups coconut over pecans

Mix German chocolate cake mix according to directions on box. Then spread over top of coconut and pecans. Do not stir!

Mix the following ingredients together until creamy:
• 1 stick of butter, softened
• 1 8 oz. Pkg. of cream cheese, softened
• 1 lb. Box of confectioner sugar

Pour on top of cake mix. Do not stir!

Bake 45 minutes at 350˚. Needs no frosting. Will have deep crevices in the top of the cake.

Hint: I sometimes soften the cream cheese mixture– a few seconds at a time– in the microwave to achieve the pouring consistency that I prefer.

6 comments:

Rosemary said...

Hi KJ,
Thanks so much for visiting my blog.
Your cake sounds yummy and fun!
You live in the OC. I live in the VC, Ventura County. Thousand Oaks to be exact.
Have a wonderful day,
Rosemary

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Mmmmm--now that sounds delish! We'll have to give it a try. My 14 yo daughter and I like to try out new goody recipes. So, you know, chocolate and cream cheese.... Yeah!
Smiles, Karen

Tea Time and Roses said...

This cake sounds so good... Two of very favorites, chocolate and cream cheese...now it does not get any better than that!

Smiles..

Beverly

DebraK from ~the Bunnies Bungalow~ said...

That sounds like a yummy & easy recipe. I think I'll try it! I love pecans & chocolate.

MOM said...

You know that the Earthquake Cake recipe came from Nora (Lorrie's friend) the lady who arranged for you and your little group to sing at Leisure World. She is originally from Arkansas and brought the recipe back from a relative, I believe. It is a wonderful cake to take to a get-together as everyone loves it. It is rich so it goes a long way. And the cake name seems to belong in California. Just a little back ground. MOM

KJ said...

YES, this cake is a winner! Every time I make the cake it disappears. And, if people have had it before, they are first in line. It is great with coffee and tea. My MOMMY introduced it to me! (By the way, did I mention that my Mommy is a great cook!)

kj