FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES

Jul 30, 2007

Trees

TREES

I THINK that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the sweet earth’s flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

-Joyce Kilmer (1886-1918)

After this beautiful poem, I find myself remembering a humorous twist by Ogden Nash...

I think that I shall never see
A billboard lovely as a tree.
Perhaps, unless the billboards fall,
I'll never see a tree at all.

-Ogden Nash
US humorist & poet (1902-1971)

6 comments:

Mrs.Kwitty said...

That tree pic is stunning. And I love that poem--I have it written on the first page of my little "jot it down" notebook and pause to read it often!
Smiles, Karen

KJ said...

This poem really takes you somewhere, doesn't it? I love it, too!

I spotted your photo earlier yesterday and I was trying to think of what that particular pose and expression reminded me of... It came to me later that evening. It reminds me of Ann Bancroft in "84 Charring Cross Road," done in 1987 with Anthony Hopkins. Did you ever see that?

kj

Adrienne said...

KJ - Thank you for visiting my blog and for leaving a comment so I could find you and your blog. I love the music and the tree picture. I can imagine myself in a hammock underneath - looking up through those gigantic branches. 'Trees' is one of my favorite poems - especially set to music. I will visit here often.
~Adrienne~

Tea Time and Roses said...

What a beautiful photo, and lovely poem....I wanted to linger a while just to listen to the sweet music...

Smiles..

Beverly

Deb said...

Wonderful tree photo ~ and I love the poem.

Sheila said...

mrs. kwitty does look like Anne Bancroft, and I think that's why I was drawn to visit her blog from yours. It's fun to check out new folks.