FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES

Aug 15, 2007

To Blog or Not to Blog...

We could all remain obscure, privately penning our hearts into charming journals and then tucking them into safety. Why do we choose this format– the web log? Most of us would never retrieve and offer our palpable journals to a visiting stranger. What is it that gives us the moxie to publish our lives for the entire world to peruse? I believe it’s central to an inbuilt need for expression and the desire to be known and accepted.

I’ve done a web search using my blog’s name, Eye-dyllic. The search results are at once fascinating and sobering. It's as if a film crew has been following me to make a documentary. My steps are easily traced. It itemizes my blog travels and where I’ve left my calling card, including a list of visitors to my own site. I can even somewhat pinpoint my position in the blogosphere. My blog is less than 2 months old and it’s already a globetrotter!

It’s not as if an online journal is a one-size-fits-all. Some will come and find a cozy niche, while others will exit without so much as a wave. Nonetheless, we’re posting dreams and personal pieces of ourselves– trusting that it falls into kind hands.

The Reality Series genre illustrates how vulnerable we become when dreams are exposed. The judges are somewhat deified as they decide who is, who isn’t, who can, who can’t; and ultimately who will. And yet there is an unending flow of contestants willing to risk humiliation for a stab at their dreams– for a chance to be known.

God isn’t sitting on a heavenly panel tossing out glib quips and critiques. Considering that God gave each of us a unique set of fingerprints on 2 hands that don’t even match exactly, I’d say He’s into one-of-a-kinds. Regardless of whether man places a value on who we are or what we do, God hasn’t changed His mind about us. His opinion is the “reigning” opinion! We were each given a role to play and there’s no understudy or replacement.

By having a blog, we do risk rejection. However, we’re on the road to nowhere when our critics are allowed to navigate for us.

Hebrews 13:6 NKV

So we may boldly say: “ The LORD is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”


and in The Message Bible…

God is there, ready to help;
I'm fearless no matter what.
Who or what can get to me?

11 comments:

Mrs.Kwitty said...

This is a very lovely post KJ--things that have crossed my mind too. You really have a way with words.
Smiles, Karen

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

hi. nice to meet you and thanks for the visit. thursday thirteen is just any random thirteen things you want to say or do, anything at all. you will find lots of people do it. if you click on the linkey box it will take you to the others. good luck!

smiles, bee

Connie W said...

Picking up where Mrs. Kwitty left off, you should be writing books with your gift of writing.

Lisa(vitapelargonerochzink) said...

Hi! thanks again for your comments on my blog. I smile every time I logg in and see that you have posted a message. It´s a long way in beetween us but it´s just a few letters away! ;) thats whats so great about this "blogging thing". Hope you had a great day yesterday and that this day will be just as good. I really like your post....I agree with mrs kwitty; you have a way with words. Hug Lisa

Gardengirl said...

I love this post. It's very thought provoking and I am now sitting here wondering why I decided to blog. When I think about it I am a very private person so one would think blogging would not be something I would want to do. Is it that keeping a blog makes my feeling more real? Hmmmm I have to ponder this a bit more. Thanks for sharing this post.

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Yes you are very *why can't I think of words anymore??? Okay. I'm coming back when I think of it. Starts with a 'p'.
But yes, God is IT and we are not. I love Him for that!

ShabbyInTheCity said...

ELOQUENT :)

Rosemary said...

Hi,
Thanks for visiting my blog, and for the nice comments.
Nice to meet you.
Rosemary

Jill said...

So true! I'm shy, and would NEVER hand my journals to a stranger, and yet... I blog! I think it's the community - finding others who do the same sort of things and finding inspiration in them. Or something like that!

ShabbyInTheCity said...

I'm back...now what did you want me to see?

Sheila said...

Yep, I wonder too. Well put about blogging. I fear not rejection. I just throw it all out and some people actually read it. As a private person, blogging is my one attempt to express myself in ways I'd never feel comfortable doing except with my closest family or friends. I hope you are enjoying the process as much as I have this last year.