FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES
{ Click the Blog Banner to return to the Main Page }

Oct 29, 2007

And the winner is . . .

"Let's Go Haiku-ku" Winner!

All submissions for the "Let's Go Haiku-ku" contest were impressive!" The enthusiasm of the participants was contagious! More than once I found myself smiling– even laughing– as the creative spirit spilled onto my blog! We have some poetic souls out their in blog land and I am honored that curl up here!

An unbiased judge helped me in the selection process. The rules specified that each Haiku had to be autumn themed and needed to adhere to the traditional 5, 7, 5 syllable pattern. We first eliminated the Haiku where the syllable pattern was incorrect. (Words can be tricky when it comes to actual syllables.) After this elimination, we based our decision on the Haiku that chose a clear physical scene and followed through with picturesque imagery. This was not an easy task...

So, the winner of the $15.00 Starbucks Card is:

kimberly ann of Nostalgic Homemaking

Ripe gourd, waxen skin

Firm flesh yields to twisted stem
Calling blade, candle

For extra recognition, I will be sending a $5.00 Starbucks Card to:

kari and kijsa of Ask Kari & Kijsa

A swirling leaf falls
Tiptoeing on tufts of air
Nature is dancing

These ladies need to email their addresses to me so that I can expedite their coffee breaks!

Be sure to read the other submissions at the original post, "Let's Go Haiku-ku!" I thoroughly enjoyed the metaphors and cozy autumnal images! DebraK and the dynamic duo, Kari and Kijsa submitted the most entries. Their Haiku kept me amused and ready to sit fireside with a marshmallow-filled cup of cocoa! Steph convinced me that raking leaves may not be so bad. Andylynne created a modern Haiku with some abstract imagery. And, my dear Mom transported us to Hawaiian shores, making a connection between autumn colors and tanning.

With such a great show of enthusiasm, I will need to sponsor another themed Haiku Contest soon!

4 comments:

Kimberly Ann said...

Wow! I'm so honored. :-)
Thank you!

DebraK from ~the Bunnies Bungalow~ said...

When I read Kimberly's poem a big "Oohhhh" escaped my lips. It's a wonderful vision of Autumn.

Kari & Kijsa said...

Thanks for hosting such a fabulous contest! We love a good Haiku contest....can't wait until the next one!

smiles, kari and kijsa

KJ said...

I am so blessed by the participation and contributions that ALL OF YOU made! I honestly didn't want the contest to win because I was so delighted by the submissions! I do hope that all of you will participate again!

HUGE HUGS, KJ