FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES

Oct 15, 2007

Harvest

Golden bales of hay against a satin skyline.

Harvest can never exist without the preliminaries: good seed, prepared soil, watering, and reaping. If any of these components are left out, harvest is only a dream... This photo affirms the principles of sowing and reaping, and serves as a reminder of its applications to our own lives.

Sowing is a form of giving. When we plant seeds in prepared soil we are essentially giving back to the earth, thus enabling it to return the favor. One definition in Merriam-Webster's Dictionary is "to set something in motion: begin an enterprise." This cyclical exchange has mutual benefit.

I place great value on how these principles apply to life, especially since I love to give. The Bible tells us in Luke 6:38 (NKJ), "Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you.” The Message Bible expresses the same scripture as, "Give away your life; you'll find life given back, but not merely given back—given back with bonus and blessing. Giving, not getting, is the way. Generosity begets generosity."

God encourages us to test Him, largely because we cannot out give Him. I have personally tested this principle many times in my life and I have yet to be disappointed. In fact, it's much like conducting an experiment where the results have already been proven and documented. As an example, directly after conducting my recent blog giveaway, I found an envelope in my in-box at work that contained an unexpected monetary gift of $40.00!

The field also represents our individual lives. What are we sowing into our own lives? Is our soil prepared to receive it? Are we investing the time needed to water, feed, and nurture what is being produced? Perhaps we’re doing all of the cultivating but allowing the fruit of our efforts to die in the field? For me, the greatest seed that I can plant in my field is the Word of God. This is combined with my pursuit of knowledge, skills, and my desire to be continuously experiencing growth.

Giving begins with the Kingdom of God; however, reciprocity spills over into every aspect of our lives. Whether I am sowing into my local church, missions projects, integral charities, or giving to family and friends, I will reap again . . . somewhere.

4 comments:

La Tea Dah said...

Lovely post -- lots to think about. The wheat ranchers near my home are planting their winter wheat seed right now. Some is already growing --- tiny green sprigs in the dark earth. In contrast, some fields are still stubble or burned char (which they do to clean up the stubble). Such contrasts --- and such lessons in the entire process of growing dryland wheat.

All said --- I know the photo is of a hay field, but the lessons are the same with wheat. I guess I am relating what you said to what is nearest to me. . .

Enjoy a blessed day, planting seeds!

LaTeaDah

KJ said...

Thank-you, LaTeaDah...

By the way, have I ever told you that I love your name? It seems to fit you and your blog perfectly!

You could probably do your own article on this based on what you said here! There are so many contrasts, especially when you think in terms of fields being human lives. We're all at different stages.

Have a wonderful day!

KJ

Adrienne said...

How true - we can't ever outgive God! Beautiful beautiful picture. Beautiful words.

~Adrienne~

Donna Layton said...

KJ....this is beautifully written and I so agree with what you've expressed. The photograph caught me as it looks exactly like the world which surrounds me daily, and your words held me. Vivid, insightful and patently true.