FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES
{ Click the Blog Banner to return to the Main Page }

Nov 25, 2007

Today's Bouquets

::||::||::||::||::||::||::||::||::||::||::||::||::||::||::

::||::||::||::||::||::||::||::||::||::||::||::||::||::||::

There are 2 inspirational poems written by the poet Edgar Albert Guest (1881-1959) that have given me great inspiration: It Couldn't Be Done and Myself. Yesterday, due to the prompting of another blog, I traveled deeper into this poet's body of work. I was delighted by how each his poem's resonates with the human spirit; much like a Midwestern football coach delivering the team pep talk or ruminating on life's pleasures.

The poem below, Friends, hits an immediate chord, especially in light of the many challenges my family has faced in 2007. In addition to the Faithfulness of God, friendship has been a life preserver. When our ship appeared to be sinking, I would feel a firm hand on my shoulder, often before I could turn for help. My parents, too, have been constant friends.

F R I E N D S


Ain't it fine when things are going
Topsy-turvy and askew
To discover someone showing

Good old-fashioned faith in you?


Ain't it good when life seems dreary

And your hopes about to end,

Just to feel the handclasp cheery

Of a fine old loyal friend?


Gosh! one fellow to another

Means a lot from day to day,

Seems we're living for each other

In a friendly sort of way.


When a smile or cheerful greetin'

Means so much to fellows sore,

Seems we ought to keep repeatin'

Smiles an' praises more an' more.

- Edgar Albert Guest


One Month Until Christmas (or 30 Days)

I am standing on the threshold of Christmas and I can feel myself pulling up chest voice to exclaim, "I'M GOING IN!" Admittedly, I was hiding in my foxhole on Black Friday, not wanting to engage in hand to hand combat. Instead, I did some small online boutique shopping from the comfort of my home, my feet parked on carpet instead of concrete. Ah, life is good . . . Nonetheless, I have donned my fatigues (looking more like pajamas) and I am ready to take it on: all of it!

Today, I begin my Christmas To Do List– itemizing anything that seems realistic but is always subject to editing. To implement this list with diligence, I plan to focus on 4 goals per day.
  1. THE REASON: CHRIST
  2. GIVING: the continual lookout for ways to bless and affirm others
  3. DECIDE AND CONQUER: accomplish 1 or more things on my list
  4. INDULGENCE: something to fuel me (a sweet treat or a discovery)

10 comments:

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

I have decided this year more then every, I am going to try and enjoy everything about Christmas and your words of wisdom are very helpful!

Marcela said...

Hi KJ
I enjoyed reading the poem!!!
Thanks for sharing with us
xoxo
Marcela

Penny @ Lavender Hill Studio said...

Hi KJ.
What a wonderful poem. Thank you for sharing that!
Penny

T*mmy said...

I love the poem and your goals!

Have a great Monday KJ!
=)

ShabbyInTheCity said...

I really have seen a lot of people actually getting Jesus lately...the way I see Him anyway...material possessions becoming less important and general love gaining strength :)
Thanks KJ :)

KJ said...

What wonderful comments! Thanks to all! And, I appreciate the "goal" support!

Miss Shabby... Very well said! Yes, I see this, too!

KJ

A Fanciful Twist said...

OH YOUR MUSIC HERE!!! Love it!!! I just love poetry, especially when I am in the mood to savor every word....

What a special abode you have here!

Sheila said...

I needed to read that poem today. Thanks for sharing.

On Christmas, I am again doing my Christmas countdown. I do love the season but not the materialism.

KJ said...

Yes, Sheila, the materialism keeps leading me to alternative ways to celebrate. I detest decorations in stores going up earlier and earlier. I surprised some stores even bother to take their decorations down!

KJ

Neutral Dwelling said...

What a wonderful post, I really enjoyed the poem. Thanks for sharing!