FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES

Nov 15, 2007

Välkommen till min blogg!



Välkommen till min blogg!

Karin Krut has this posted at the entrance to her blog– a blog that also bears her name. I don't know many words in Swedish, but this phrase was immediately recognizable and instantly felt! Blogs have enabled us to extend the wonderful bond of hospitality without physically stepping into one another's homes. It's amazing that a world brought to life by electricity and thousands of pixel fairies, can engage us on such a realistic level. More often than not, the warmth of what's written or made visible has me feeling so at home that I'm reaching for a cookie, adding sugar to my tea, or commenting aloud– almost as if I was facing my hostess.

The word "welcome" is derived from the Old English wilcuma, indicating "a person whose coming is pleasing." I believe that hospitality is determined by the degree of welcomeness.

A Korean Warm Welcome

Two evenings ago, some of my church members and I made a house call to a sweet young Korean woman who had recently visited our church, La Palma Christian Center. When we arrived at her home, we were enthusiastically greeted by her father at the door. He promptly invited us in, even though his daughter was not at home and we were strangers to him.

The entrance of this otherwise tidy home was littered with shoes. Being familiar with this tradition (and also being a practice in my own home), we removed our footwear and proceeded into the living room. We were greeted by all who were home and given refreshing Aloe Vera juice while they attempted to reach our party. Had we been able to stay longer, bowls of kimchi had already been removed from the refrigerator to serve as appetizers. We all felt extremely welcome!

It is this kind of welcome that embraces a visitor on many blog doorsteps and continues to put one at ease after being invited in. Shoes are kicked off and an exchange begins. It is the manner of being greeted that sets the tone.



NOTE: For a glimpse of Scandinavian Advent traditions, take a little trip to Sweden by visiting Ingela at FRIDHEM. Ingela is a hospitable soul who makes even the non-Swedish speaking visitors feel at home by including English in her posts. I so enjoy her friendship! I plan to slip this Advent tradition into this year's
Christmas celebration!

6 comments:

ShabbyInTheCity said...

I love meeting people from different nationalities! Most blogs are very welcoming, aren't they?

EVA AGNES said...

Thank you so much for your lovely comment on my blog. It makes me happy to hear such things.
I totally agree about what you say omn your post today. The blogging opens up a new world and you can walk in to peoples homes and make new friends.
Wonderful.
Love Eva Agnes

EVA AGNES said...

I made a long comment to thank you for your lovely comment on my blog. But i seems it disappeared.
Your post today is so true. The blogging opens up to a new world. aND YOU GET TO MEET A LOT OF PEOPLE AND MAKE NEW FRIENDS.
Wonderful.
Love Eva Agnes

Sandra Evertson said...

Oh, I love it! I wish you had pictures if that peanut butter table top! Fantastic!
Sandra Evertson

Tea Time and Roses said...

I cannot begin to tell you just how wonderful it is meeting so many people in so many far away places...fabulous! Thanks Karen.

Hugs...

Beverly

Fridhemspinglan said...

Hej! (hey)
I'm so glad you enjoy my blog, and that I can contribute with a new Advent tradition!

In Sweden you always take your shoes off - in your own home, and visiting others. To me it looks so wrong when I see people on TV laying on the couch with their sneakers on!

We have a lot to learn about hospitality from our friends from the Middle and Far east!

Kram :)