FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES
{ Click the Blog Banner to return to the Main Page }

Dec 17, 2007

"All is calm, all is bright."

Artella "Caroling" Kit 2007
My motto for Christmas is, "All is calm, all is bright." After a challenging year, my family is paring down our Christmas spending, pouring our efforts into handmade gifts and heart derived tributes. My daughter and I, especially, are approaching this with great enthusiasm.

Most of us don't need reminding as to how many days are left until Christmas. If you're done shopping and decorating, no worries. However, if you're like me and shopping is determined by cash flow and a busy event schedule, the ticking clock grows louder!

I recently discovered,
Organize, a sleek, somewhat sophisticated magazine proving that function and organization need not resemble a container store. Although the photos of people are a trifle staged, the magazine contains noteworthy information and elegant touches.
In my July 11th, 2007 post entitled, Gifts, I illuminated on gift giving and the dilemmas of clutter. One Organize magazine feature entitled Clutter Free Gifting* by Monica Ricci, coincides with my post! Although Monica has gone gift-free—much like a carnivore becoming a vegan—she realizes that most of us hold fast to our traditions. So, she offers a philosophy based on a thoughtful process of assessing a person's taste and interests, and then presenting something that won't contribute to clutter.

Monica divided Clutter Free Gifting into the following categories: financial or charitable gifts, consumable gifts, gifts of service, education, memberships or passes, technology, and gifts of experience or quality time. The specifics may be obtained from her featured article, but the gist is this: consider dust-free giving.


Well, I have a gift card to a local cafe to bestow upon our mail carrier. I better hurry before he gets here!

* Organize magazine,
(pages 74-81, November/December 2007)

No comments: