FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES
{ Click the Blog Banner to return to the Main Page }

Dec 8, 2007

An Original "Christmas Tree" Napkin Fold

"The Christmas Tree" Napkin Fold

One of the benefits of conducting workshops in retail settings is having access to so many lovely linens, as well as a plethora of tableware and decorative accents! What bliss to be able to play and create tablescapes—all in the name of demonstration!

During workshops, my goal is to present fresh material that isn't on a trend of replication in home-themed magazines. Sometimes, having exhausted ideas from my numerous volumes of napkin folding books, I resort to creating folds of my own. "The Christmas Tree" fold (above) is an example of one such inspiration, and I have never seen this idea published. For your holiday pleasure, I would like to share this napkin fold with YOU!

This is one fold where the napkin should not have a wrong side. I used a reversible print to make the fold interesting. Cotton linens—with or without fringe—work extremely well. If you opt for synthetic fibers, try to include cotton in the mix. Also, realize that this is one napkin fold where neatness counts.

Start with a napkin of even measurements and fold it 2 times to form a smaller square. Point the 4-layered corner toward you.

Begin to peel up each of the 4 layers to align with the top point of the napkin. Space each layer about 1 inch apart. Once done, the napkin should look like the photo below.

With hands placed on the top and bottom of the napkin, flip it over from right to left. The fold should resemble the photo below.


Bring the left and right sides together, neatly aligning the top of each panel to form a triangular space at the top of the napkin. The bottom point should be about 1 inch wide. Now flip the napkin over from bottom to top.

Once the napkin has been flipped over, take the top flap and gently peel it up until it forms a neat triangle. It will look sloppy if you allow the triangle to droop. Be careful not to pull the top up too far as this could result in having to start over.

Repeat this step with each layer, tucking the tip beneath each previous fold. Make sure the bottom portion is perfectly aligned with the backside.

At this point the napkin can be arranged flat on top of a plate, or it can be placed upright by pulling the back panels out slightly or leaning it against something. This fold looks beautiful as is, or a metallic star sticker can be placed at the top of the tree. Place-cards shaped like little gifts can be assembled under the tree or tucked under the boughs. I have even placed a pretty pin—as a gift—at the top of the tree, always making sure that it has a backing.

Note: Feel free to use this fold for your own Christmas celebration! Please do not use these photos or publish this napkin fold without my express permission. Thank-you.

26 comments:

Country Cottage Chic said...

That is utterly ingenious! Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Andi said...

Oh my gosh...this is too cute!!! I love this and the fact that you shared such an adorable and timely idea. I'm going to grab a napkin and give this a try right now.

Ruth Welter said...

This is awsome KJ....it looks so pretty.

Fridhemspinglan said...

What a lovely idea!
Thanks for showing how-to.
I'll experiment with the technique to find my own style...

Kram :)

The Feathered Nest said...

This is so clever! Thanks for the tutorial.

Manuela

Sheila said...

Wow this is beautiful...Thank you so much for playing along with my give a way, I can't believe you weren't drawn, you had the most entries....I will do another one soon...Have a blessed week!!
Hugs
Sheila

Julie Marie said...

Oh, how cool - altho I don't think I will be doing this! LOL!

I didn't know you did that kind of display work. That must be fun.

Julie

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Cute Karen! I was napkin folding impaired until now...well I haven't actually tried it yet but I think I can!

Tamara said...

KJ...I'm loving this idea! Thank you for sharing. And the teapot is wonderful! I use pine and oak accents in our home, year round.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I look forward to enjoying more of yours! I am a former music/choir teacher, by the way!

Tea Time and Roses said...

Karen how pretty is this fold! Thank you so much for sharing it!

Smiles...

Beverly

Kim - ScrapToMyLu said...

thanks for stopping by! love all your photos. great tutorial on the napkin. I am so bad at folding napkins.

Kathleen Grace said...

I just love this! Thank you so much for this beautiful idea. I can't wait to use it for my family Christmas get-togethers:>)

Esther Sunday said...

Very, very clever! It is amazing how people (such as yourself) can come up with ways to fold napkins! Love, Esther

DebraK from ~the Bunnies Bungalow~ said...

Hi! I love this tree napkin. I have a file of different folds & I especially like big napkins. I'm adding this to my file! Thank you.
Happy holidays my blogging friend to you & your family.
Holiday hugs, DebraK

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

What a great idea. Thanks for sharing!
It will be our little secret.

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Wonderfully creative! I am so happy you decided to share it!
Thank you!

Blessings!

DebPob said...

I will include you in our Chrismas blessing (every year). Thank you so much for sharing your very clever idea.

Pammie said...

This is fantasticly Christmassy thank you - just what I was looking for to adorn my dining table for a family Christmas Lunch... I have sent the link to all my friends who I am sure will be just as amused.

Nanette said...

Very clever and easy! Presents way more complicated than the fold actually is. This will be perfect for my Christmas Eve table. Thank you soooooo much for sharing. Merry Christmas!!

Karen said...

Still going strong, I have been searching for something a little different and came across this. I have just tried it out and will look stunning. Thanks you very much.

Rafael and Virginia said...

Great! Thank you Very Much.

It is beautiful in our table,

Jeff said...

So google led me to your blog this morning. I folded one napkin like a tree and showed it to my wife. She was blown away. I then did the other seven. We had place card holders in miniature ornaments, so i put those right at the top of the tree. It made them look like a tree topper. My father-in-law said, "These napkins look so nice, I feel bad taking them apart." Thanks for adding the "wow" factor to our Christmas dinner table today!

Anonymous said...

....too late for this year, no matter, I hope to rembemer next christmas time. Thank you for showing your graet idea. Please forgive my mistakes I write from Germany in the near of Hannover (Expo -City 2000). I am 60 years old an my English lessons are forgotten almost. Later I'll read in your blog. It sounds interesting. I LOVE music too. In my leisure I like to play Akkordeon in a little Orchestra.
Herzliche Grüße aus Deutschland !
Jutta

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the great idea!

Anonymous said...

I was looking for something to do with our napkins for Christmas dinner. Napkin rings are so expensive when you need a dozen or so. I found this, my daughter folded them, and she was able to stand them in the center of each plate. Really made the table more special. Thanks. I'm going to print the directions so we'll remember how for next year!!

Andrew S. said...

Thanks for the great idea! We love how these turned out on our Christmas dinner table! :)