FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES
{ Click the Blog Banner to return to the Main Page }

Feb 23, 2008

Why "eye-dyllic"?


For every beauty there is an eye somewhere to see it.
For every truth there is an ear somewhere to hear it.
For every love there is a heart somewhere to receive it.

—Ivan Panin, Russian mathematician 1855-1942

Permit me to take an aside... I find the word "blog" unattractive and incongruous with the substance that I welcome at my personal favorites.
The poet in me cringes at the way "blog" falls flat on the tongue. It doesn't dance or spin or even remotely capture the spirit of the blogger. The word "blog," a shortened version of "weblog," reminds me of a clumsy pet with no pedigree.

With that out of my system, I am approaching my 200th post and I find myself reflecting on my blog's name. I've read other accounts involving the birthing and naming of blogs, and I realize that there was no epiphany for me. Honestly, the naming of this blog was spontaneous. I didn't sit cross legged on some lofty precipice or cloister myself in a remote region of California (like that could happen.) The naming of this blog was almost instantaneous and it occurred as a natural flow of this journaling stream.


Merriam-Webster's Dictionary defines the word idyllic as: 1 : pleasing or picturesque in natural simplicity 2 : of, relating to, or being an idyll

...and the word "idyll" is described as:

1 a: a simple descriptive work in poetry or prose that deals with rustic life or pastoral scenes or suggests a mood of peace and contentment b: a narrative poem (as Tennyson's Idylls of the King) treating an epic, romantic, or tragic theme 2 a: a lighthearted carefree episode that is a fit subject for an idyll b: a romantic interlude

At this blog's conception, it seemed a fitting choice to name it "eye-dyllic" as a way of giving sight to a word brimming with romantic images. It is much like handing my guests a pair of binoculars and pointing. To my delight, my visitors hand those same field glasses back to me, turning my attention to something I haven't yet seen!

7 comments:

Joyce said...

I agree "blog" does sound very "blasé" and I have often wondered how we can come up with a new term of some sort....but I think you have the real solution. Just call your "spot" by it's name.
Thats a good thing.

Andi said...

I belive "eye-dyllic" is the perfect name for your journaling.

I'm in need of a special napkin fold for a special event being held at the Country Club in May. We (my committee)want the tables to look elegant and will have fresh floral arrangements. Any suggestions?

Rosemary said...

I like your blog's name. It's original. It fits.
Rosemary

Mrs.Kwitty said...

So funny KJ--I have often thought the same about the word BLOG--it's an ugly word for such an often beautiful thing. So many people making friends and pouring out their hearts for all to see.

I was happy to see that you found out about my interview and drawing--and thanks so much for your sweet and loving comments (you sure know how to make a gal feel good!) I was going to head over here today and tell you about it so you could enter--but you beat me to it! yeah.

Now, I have to go and read some more of your blougue (is that better?) lol

Smiles, Karen

Mary Isabella said...

I too love your name. It is so beautiful sounding...Smiles

Esther Sunday said...

I love the name!!! It works!!! I like "journaling" instead. Love, Esther

Julie said...

Once I learned how to spell it - and did the link - I really like the name eye-dyllic. (Had to look to the top of the post to spell it, LOL!)

I just recently changed the name of my blog to be a bit more reflective of my concept of it.

I agree with you about the word "blog".