FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES
{ Click the Blog Banner to return to the Main Page }

Mar 10, 2008

"Butterfly Napkin Fold" Tutorial

In my March 4, 2008 post, the featured Butterfly Napkin Fold attracted enough interest that I am providing this tutorial. This fold works beautifully on both paper and cloth napkins. (An example of the "paper" butterfly exists on the March 4th post.) If you decide to introduce this fold into a special occasion, I would love to hear the details!

1.) Begin with a square cloth napkin and fold it in half. If the napkin has a wrong side, make sure that the right side is visible. The napkin used in this tutorial (made by April Cornell) is not perfectly square; however, the minor imperfections will give this fold fold some character.

2.) Fold the upper right and left hand corners down to meet at the center of the lower half of the napkin. It should form a pyramid.

3.) Turn the napkin over with the bottom of the pyramid closest to you. Take the left side of the pyramid and fold it to where the outer edge is lined up with the center of the napkin.

4.) Repeat Step (3) on the right side of the napkin.

5.) Lightly securing the center of the napkin with your fingers, reach under both sides of the napkin and gently pull out the flaps.

6.) Turn over the napkin. Make note of the upside down cone in the center.

7.) Fold the top point down to the bottom point.

8.) Take the portion that you just folded down and tuck it under and into the the opening of the upside down cone. Then, pinch the top center part of the napkin together to give the fold a 3D effect.

The pinching affect will hold much better on a paper napkin. On cloth, you can press the center with a hot iron or place the napkin on a tablecloth or in a beveled plate.

HAPPY FOLDING!

6 comments:

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

I will have to try that fold, I have some napkins with an embroidered edge that would do nicely.

thanks!

Judy said...

It's so much fun visiting all these neat blogs...and getting so many great ideas. Love your butterfly napkins...I'll be back!

PS Thanks for your kind comments!

Esther Sunday said...

Thanks for the instructions! I am always trying to figure out ways to make the napkins look better! Love, Esther

Andi said...

Thank you so much for posting this. When I first saw it I didn't have a minute to leave a comment so I'm back. I actually printed it off and keep it along with the instructions for the little Christmas Tree fold in with my linens so I can refer to it.

Your have quite a talent for this!

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Very sweet and pretty! Thanks for the tut!
Smiles, Karen

Anonymous said...

thanks for the idea. It is the finishing touch to my spring display of tables for a ladies bible study brunch. the butterfly is my table theme symbolizing transformation/new life found in Christ.

PS...enjoying the music as i make centerpiece and fold napkins.