FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES
{ Click the Blog Banner to return to the Main Page }

Mar 2, 2008

A Child in the Garden

A CHILD IN THE GARDEN

When to the garden of untroubled thought
I came of late, and saw the open door,
And wished again to enter, and explore
The sweet, wild ways with stainless bloom inwrought,
And bowers of innocence with beauty fraught,
It seemed some purer voice must speak before
I dared to tread that garden loved of yore,
That Eden lost unknown and found unsought.

Then just within the gate I saw a child, --
A stranger-child, yet to my heart most dear;
He held his hands to me, and softly smiled
With eyes that knew no shade of sin or fear:
"Come in," he said, "and play awhile with me;"
"I am the little child you used to be."

—Henry Van Dyke

10 comments:

Kari & Kijsa said...

eouiiLove this!! Thank you so much for your sweet words...we just had to run over and read the poem!

Wonderful verses to ponder today! Mmmm...we are off to play out in the beautiful weather today!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Joyce said...

Hey KJ,
I've been "pondering" the "meme" assignment......I'm going to do it tomorrow if that's okay. I have had a crazy weekend and am on my way to Home Depot for my husband even now...blah. He's in the middle of the re-doing our main bathroom and just ran out of something and needs me to go get it. It's a huge ....ummm....mess at this moment but will be lovely at some point. Hopefully soon.
HA!
Thanks!
Joyce

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Beautiful poem KJ--thanks for posting.
Smiles, Karen

southern queen bee said...

Oh my gosh what great blog...I found you on Joyce's... What caught my eye was Penn State. My daughter wanted to attend there, but it is so far away and out of state tution was just to much for now..Hope to visit again soon...MISSY

NeereAnDear said...

Quite lovely indeed reminds one of their childhood

HUGS

JO

ElegantSnobbery said...

Really beautiful poem! And that flower is gorgeous as well.

Thanks for sharing!

Marisa

the feathered nest said...

Beautiful poem to ponder and love the photo!

Manuela

Mary Isabella said...

I really liked this poem....mary

DebraK from ~the Bunnies Bungalow~ said...

I loved it! If only we could be a child again, just for a short time...

Hugs, DebraK

Joyce said...

Okay got the "meme" done....check it out!
Joyce
http://thesecretgardner.blogspot.com/