FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES

Mar 15, 2008

St. Patrick's Day Frolic!

Orange Glazed Carrots
From LittleShamrocks.com

1 c. orange juice

4 tbsp. granulated sugar
5 tbsp. butter
1 pinch red pepper

15 carrots, peeled and halved lengthwise with stalks still attached Preheat oven to 350F. Place the juice, sugar, butter and red pepper in a saucepan and simmer until butter and sugar have melted to make a glaze. Place carrots into an oven proof dish and pour over the glaze. Bake until the carrots are tender. Yield: 12 servings

St. Patrick's Day, Dancing Couple - art.com

Irish Sayings & Humor

Why should you never iron a 4-leaf clover? You don't want to press your luck.

As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction!

The most beautiful music of all is the music of what happens.

My Gathering Basket

I have Irish heritage on both sides of my family. I haven't been to Ireland, but I did perform in the Fullerton Civic Light Opera production of Finian's Rainbow in the late 70's. If you haven't sung and danced with a pint-sized leprechaun, you haven't lived!

I adore the celestial resonance of Celtic music, especially when hymns are sung. I have a predisposition for potatoes, singing, poetry, quick wit, and occasional blarney. Perhaps Irish citizens might disagree with these generalities or consider them to be more Irish-American, but I'm all of the above.

In celebration of St. Patrick's Day, I have placed a few items in my gathering basket.
  • Check out You Tube for How to Make Tasty Irish Scones in a Flash. Elinor Sweeney presents an easy-to-follow VIDEO TUTORIAL on the scone making process.
  • Tammy Yee offers free templates for an Irish Shamrock Box and/or an Easter Chick Box. The folding instructions are listed on the site.
  • The fabulous Mrs. Kwitty is having a Giveaway! Hurry over for a chance to win one of her whimsical handcrafted drawstring bags! Scroll down to her March 12th post entitled, "Drawing Time."
  • The LIMERICK WRITING CONTEST ends tomorrow, March 17th, at Midnight PST. The winner will be chosen by the votes of my readers. The prize is the amazing book, Pink Ladies & Crimson Gents, Portraits and Legends of 50 Roses. You may enter 4 posts down.

6 comments:

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Hi KJ-
Fun post--we have a smidge of Irish from my Mom's side, on my Dad's its 1/2 Polish, 1/2 Swedish!
I just thought I'd pass along that I'm doing a drawing on my blog--pop by and put your name in the hat!
Blessings and Smiles, Karen

PAT said...

Happy Saint Pat's to you KJ. I'm pretty sure, we are mostly Scot and Welsh, as far as I know. I don't think there was anyone from Ireland..but then...on St Paddy's Day, everyone is a little bit Irish!

I love Celtic music, also.
Pat

Mary Isabella said...

I am going to try those carrots for St. Patricks Day

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Happy St. P to you Karen! I love my Jacquie card :)
Are you having cabbage today and corned beef? My eyes are green so don't pinch me!

Andi said...

My hubby is Irish so I'm claiming to be just a little bit Irish myself for today KJ!

Happy St Patrick's Day to you!

Esther Sunday said...

Hey, you cooking the Irish dinner tonight? What time? Love, Esther