FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES
{ Click the Blog Banner to return to the Main Page }

Apr 28, 2008

100 Countries!


It began with a winding flume and a boat. I was a young girl, seated under a canopy of stars.
Our boat—brimming with sightseers—was without a captain or a skipper. The atmosphere was permeated with the faint smell of chlorine and charged with curiosity.

Once launched, our watercraft segued from crowd noises to melody. The familiar faded into vibrant, scaled down countries and color splashed costumes. There were children singing and dancing to a repetitious theme song that people still either like or find maddening. Regardless, it made an impression on me...

It's a world of laughter, a world of tears

It's a world of hopes and a world of fears
There's so much that we share that its time we're aware
It's a small world after all

CHORUS:
It's a small world after all

It's a small world after all
It's a small world after all
It's a small, small world

There is just one moon and one golden sun
And a smile means friendship for everyone
Though the mountains divide and the oceans are wide
It's a small world after all

It's corny, I know, but my love for culture was birthed on the Disneyland attraction, Small World.
I was so enamored, that I returned home and started a short lived International Club with a 5th Grade friend of mine, Bonnie Ostrander.

Today, I fulfill my cultural curiosity through research, striking up conversations, supporting mission work, and exploring ethnic cuisine. In my most daring dreams, I never imagined that starting this blog would create an international footpath. As of today, 100 countries (17,673 people) have passed through eye-dyllic's doors. No, not everyone has lingered here, but they've touched my world. And hopefully, they took something of me with them.

5 comments:

ShabbyInTheCity said...

I love the people of the world! It is fun to find out our differences and celebrate them :) Blogging is so fun because of what you said. I always wanted a penpal when I was little and now...WOW!

Joyce said...

Hey K.J...I was thinking of you today ALOT for some reason. You were on my heart big time. Hopefully ALL is going well with you all!
I think that is a TON of people that have looked at your site. Amazing really. I think they have taken something of you with them.
I have! :~)
Be blessed,
Joyce

Beverly said...

This is so funny because that song makes me feel the same way. Hopefully there is a level of peace that is formed when we reach out to one another.

Charlotte said...

It is so nice to meet you, KJ. Thank you for visiting my blog and for the nice comments. I'm glad you are praying for Oprah as am I. Boy, you're right. There is almost no end to her influence.
I love your blog. I'm so glad you led me to it. As I started reading, I thought to myself, "It's a Small World". I love that song. I love that ride. I love Disneyland. I lived in Norwalk for many years. It's just barely over the line from Orange County. We used to go to Disneyland a lot. I went there the first summer it opened. I was 18 years old. I've watched it change over the years, and boy has it changed. Come to think about it, I've changed a little (ha ha) too.
I'm putting you in my favorites so I will remember to come back often.

Tea Time and Roses said...

Hello Sweet Karen!

eye-dyllic is a lovely place, and so is the woman behind it. I so enjoy all my visits here, thanks so much for all your sharing.

Smiles...

Beverly