FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES

May 29, 2008

Eye-dyllic According to Vogue - Part II

Vogue Cover, Autumn Fushia, 1957 - art.com

This magazine cover is dreamy in these beautiful shades of pink and purple. Much like the Vogue photo in my last post, Norman Parkinson, the photographer, strategically created a path for the eye to follow. From left to right, the white-gloved, curled hand flows upward to a look-at-me face, and then straight across the left arm to a cigarette blending casually with a draped hand. Notice that there are 2 separate statements framed by windows.

The cigarette was the last thing that I noticed and I certainly don't endorse smoking. However, this is a realistic view of the era that I grew up in. My parents smoked, as did most of their friends. Dad and Mom quit smoking right after I had my first child: their first grandchild. I'm proud of them for that.

Art.com's Description:

"Fashion is hardly fleeting in Norman Parkinson’s 1957 Vogue Cover. In his long, distinguished career with British and American Vogue, renowned English photographer Parkinson (1913-1990) captured some of the most celebrated men and women in fashion and high society, and was one of the pioneers of the on-location shoot. With its iconic glamour and romantic imagery, “Vogue Cover, Autumn Fuchsia, 1957” appeals to fashion lovers and vintage art collectors alike."



3 comments:

Beverly said...

Wow, stunning cover. The photograph exhibits all of the key qualities of excellent photography. And, those colors are outstanding.

A perfect capture of an era of grace.

Cyndi Evans said...

Yikes. beautiful photograph.Wish I could stamp that well!


I am so glad that your parents no longer smoke. My dad too quit long ago.

Michele said...

I love the way you describe the photographs. I makes me look at them in a different way.

My parents smoked, too, but my mom quit not long before she got pregnant with her first child....ME! LOL!! My dad smoked a pipe, and I think he smoked a little bit longer. I used to smoke, but thank goodness I quit over ten years ago. I'm 38 now. My sister and her fiance just quit, and I'm so proud of them. Today was day #11!!!!

Michele
luvkittysmeowmail@gmail.com