FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES
{ Click the Blog Banner to return to the Main Page }

May 4, 2008

The History of "Amazing Grace": Just the Black Notes

My wonderful mother sent this YouTube video to me and I was so blessed that I decided to share it with all of you. The content touches on the history of Negro spirituals with emphasis on "Amazing Grace." It's an anointed presentation—at what appears to be a Bill Gaither event—by the inspiring speaker/singer, Wintley Phipps . There is also a closeup of Larnelle Harris, another phenomenal singer, seated behind Wintley. The video's quality isn't top notch, but it makes it's point. Enjoy!



12 comments:

Becky K. said...

I am wiping my eyes and sniffing a lot. Man, that was powerful!

I wish I had known about this video when I was teaching about spirituals to my co-op class this past year. It demonstrates perfectly what I taught!

Thanks, KJ, for sharing this!

Becky K.

Beverly said...

Wonderful, wonderful. I'm covered in chills.

And, so incredible that my post today is also about Amazing Grace - but, the movie. I hope you have seen it because it is a blessing.

Beverly said...

Oops! I forgot to leave my link.

Tea Time and Roses said...

Beautiful Karen...absolutely beautiful! Thanks for everything!

Smiles...

Beverly

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

WoW!
That is awesome.

Sandy said...

Hi KJ,
Fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing that with us.
have a wonderful day.
Blessings,
Sandy :)

Charlotte said...

Just the black notes. That is so fascinating. I knew the story behind the song, but didn't know about the tune and the black notes. Thank you so much for sharing this. Now, I'm going to go downstairs, and play around with the black notes. I'll bet I can learn to play Amazing Grace.

CIELO said...

What can I say? Amazing! Thanks for sharing....

Blessings

Cielo

PAT said...

Hellow KJ

I saw/heard this a couple of weeks ago. Incredibly beautiful and moving!

Pat

Charlotte said...

Yep. I did it. I played Amazing Grace on the black notes. Who knew. Your Dad had a '56 Chevy. Isn't that the model that is so much in demand today? My husband bought a brand new '58 Chevy (Biscayne) just before we got married. How nice it was to go on our honeymoon in a new car.

Charlotte said...

Intended to say something about your Dad's car being stolen. Man, that's terrible.

Mary Isabella said...

Powerful and very Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!