FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES
{ Click the Blog Banner to return to the Main Page }

May 3, 2008

real life | "real simple" magazine

Real Simple magazine concludes monthly with a feature entitled, "Real Life", which introduces a selected reader. The April 2008 edition asked Gwyn Cready some introspective questions. I thought it would be fun to 1) post Gwyn's answers, 2) respond to the questions myself, and 3) give YOU a turn.

If you would like to add your own responses to these questions, just copy and paste the entire mini interview into a comment box and then replace the previous answers with your own.

Gwyn Cready
age 45 | romance novelist | married, mother of two | Pittsburgh

MY LIFE WOULD BE SIMPLER IF...
There were 32 hours in a day, eight days a week, and jeans that made me feel like Cameron Diaz from behind.

MOST USELESS INVENTION?
Regret.

HOW MUCH TIME DO YOU SPEND ON THE INTERNET?
I'm a starred buyer on eBay. Does that answer the question?

WHAT SURPRISES YOU MOST ABOUT YOUR ADULT LIFE?
That the person I fell in love/lust with at 19 is still fantastically interesting and attractive to me at 45.

SIMPLEST PLEASURE?
Grinding lemons in the garbage disposal.

WHAT ARE YOU MOST PROUD OF?
Navigating life without a road map. My mother died when I was 11.

SOMETHING ON MY MIND LATELY IS...
Because I lost my mother at such an early age, one of my greatest joys is being able to be here to help my children as they move toward adulthood. But in my effort to give them everything I lacked growing up, have I given them too much? Have I helped them too much? Is it also important to let them fail?



KJ - Karen June Miller
age 50 | writer - speaker - teacher - singer - brain-stormer | married, mother of three | Orange County, CA.

MY LIFE WOULD BE SIMPLER IF...
Solutions had speed dial.

MOST USELESS INVENTION?
Self pity.

HOW MUCH TIME TO YOU SPEND ON THE INTERNET?
If it were an Etch-A-Sketch, the screen would be black.

WHAT SURPRISES YOU MOST ABOUT YOUR ADULT LIFE?
My curiosity is bigger than ever.

SIMPLEST PLEASURE?
Right now, inhaling the smell of fragrant herbs on my fingers.

WHAT ARE YOU MOST PROUD OF?
My beautiful family.

SOMETHING ON MY MIND LATELY IS...
I don't want to take anything or anyone for granted. Because there are no guarantees, I try to imbue every opportunity with gratitude and fresh perspective.

The Gwyn Cready questionnaire was edited by Real Simple's Suzanne Rust.

9 comments:

Beverly said...

This is great. I agree with both of you on some things. I love to grind lemons and limes in my garbage disposal. And, I just sniffed my fingertips to smell fresh basil.

Kari & Kijsa said...

Great responses! MDF- (we believe it stands for medium-density fiberboard) is available at your local hardware store- it is inexpensive and very smooth and easy to paint!
Have a blessed Sunday!!

Smiles,
kari & kijsa

KJ said...

Beverly... Ah fresh basil! I love it!

Kari & Kijsa... Thanks for the information. For those who haven't been to their site lately, the 2 gals gave a wonderful idea for creating a handmade chalkboard out of an old doorway. It involves MDF and chalkboard paint. Check it out.

KJ

Mrs. B said...

How fun! I always enjoy learning more about people I've met in blogland! Here are my answers...

MY LIFE WOULD BE SIMPLER IF...
My kids would pick up after themselves and the laundry would fold itself.

MOST USELESS INVENTION?
Lots of kitchen gadgets.

HOW MUCH TIME TO YOU SPEND ON THE INTERNET?
Too much.

WHAT SURPRISES YOU MOST ABOUT YOUR ADULT LIFE?
I still don't feel like a grown-up.

SIMPLEST PLEASURE?
My favorite coffee cup.

WHAT ARE YOU MOST PROUD OF?
My family.

SOMETHING ON MY MIND LATELY IS...
Needing more balance in my life.

Cyndi Evans said...

Cyndi Evans
age 49 Jewelry Sales Coordinator at Wal-Mart, rubber stamper, Christian woman married for 27 years , mother of two, one college graduate and one junior at RIT | Carlisle, PA

MY LIFE WOULD BE SIMPLER IF...
My 3 dogs could take themselves outside and feed themselves.

MOST USELESS INVENTION?


HOW MUCH TIME TO YOU SPEND ON THE INTERNET?
1-2 hours a day

WHAT SURPRISES YOU MOST ABOUT YOUR ADULT LIFE?
How much more freedom I have now with both children mostly gone from my home. But I do miss seeing them play their sports locally. So I volunteer at my daughters high school with her Lacrosse team.

SIMPLEST PLEASURE?
Drinking coffee

WHAT ARE YOU MOST PROUD OF?
My children who are so motivated to work hard at college and their careers.

SOMETHING ON MY MIND LATELY IS...
How am I spending my life? Am I reaching others for Christ? Am I spending too much time with rubber stamping(I hope not) can I make better use of my time...

Beverly said...

MY LIFE WOULD BE SIMPLER IF...
People at work would take responsibility for their actions.

MOST USELESS INVENTION?
Strawberry hullers - those little nippers frustrate me.

HOW MUCH TIME DO YOU SPEND ON THE INTERNET?
Too much - maybe two hours a day.

WHAT SURPRISES YOU MOST ABOUT YOUR ADULT LIFE?
That I am so happy with my life, and that I am so fulfilled by those I love and those that love me.

SIMPLEST PLEASURE?
Crushed ice.

WHAT ARE YOU MOST PROUD OF?
My marriage to the perfect husband.

SOMETHING ON MY MIND LATELY IS...
Why some people find it necessary to be so judgmental - to the point they alienate people they love.

Mary Isabella said...

This is great. I am embrassed to tell you I have not learned how to copy and paste yet. I have not had my computer a yeat et and I am still learning about how to use it...

Natasha Burns said...

MY LIFE WOULD BE SIMPLER IF...
I had someone cook, clean the house, do the garden, do the washing....

MOST USELESS INVENTION?
cigarettes

HOW MUCH TIME DO YOU SPEND ON THE INTERNET?
too much time

WHAT SURPRISES YOU MOST ABOUT YOUR ADULT LIFE?
that i still feel like a kid!

SIMPLEST PLEASURE?
watching my boy feed bread to the ducks at the creek

WHAT ARE YOU MOST PROUD OF?
our son and my hubby

SOMETHING ON MY MIND LATELY IS...
my son will be at school full time next year, this is the last time we'll have so much time together during the day

Judy said...

Kj,
Here are my responses:

Judy Hartman
Age 59, married with one daughter, artist, tutor, friend, lover of laughter/Massachusetts

My life would be simpler if I organized all of my clutter (which I am trying to do!)

Most useless invention?
Jealousy!


I spend about 1 1/2 hours a day on the internet.

What surprises me most about my adult life is how much I enjoy, not fancy dinners out or social events, but simply hanging out with my husband on the weekends.

Simplest Pleasure?
Sitting on my porch listening to the birds.

I'm most proud of my wonderful daughter and her very creative mind!

Something on my mind lately is the amount of hatred and violence in the world. It saddens me most to see children involved in violent incidents. I wish people could learn to live in harmony. (Don't we all!)