FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES
{ Click the Blog Banner to return to the Main Page }

May 1, 2008

While strolling through the park one day...

Lyrics to "While Strolling in the park One Day"
(The Fountain in the Park)
W & M: ED HALEY (1884)

While strolling through the park one day

In the merry merry month of May

I was taken by surprise

By a pair of roguish eyes

In a moment my poor heart was stole away


A smile was all she gave to me

[soft-shoe break]
Of course we were as happy as can be

[soft-shoe break]

I immediately raised my hat

And finally she remarked

I never shall forget

That lovely afternoon

I met her at the fountain in the park


While strolling through the park one day

In the merry merry month of May

I was taken by surprise

By a pair of roguish eyes

In the merry merry month of May


8 comments:

Beverly said...

Oh how well I remember this. Thanks for the memory.

Anonymous said...

The song is over 100 years old. How old ARE you that you remember it?

Karen June Miller said...

To Anonymous: There are patriotic songs older than this and they still enjoy an audience. I have heard this song over and over since being born in the 50's. I've heard it in movies, at concerts in the park, at pizza parlors, at Disneyland... I know Beverly remembers it for the same reasons. I can assure you that neither Beverly and I were around when this song was originally written.

KJ

Craig said...

While posting about my friend killed in the V'nam war, I looked for the lyrics of this song as it was a favorite of his & he would sing it as we strolled on the campus in the days before we were taken by the army.

Anonymous said...

We have been singing a version of this song to my niece, now 19, since she was born. We sub blue for roguish....and now she sings it to my youngest daughter, who has blue eys :)

Anonymous said...

It was song on the moon, during the Apollo 17 mission.

Moira said...

We used it as a musical number between acts during a high school production of "Dirty Work at the Crossroads OR Tempted, Tried and True"

Several decades later, I still recall most of it.

Anonymous said...

-i was strolling on the moon one day,
in the merry, merry month of december...
-no, may!
-...may.

-Apollo 17