Jul 10, 2008

Eco-Friendly Gift Wrap

As we make efforts to practice a "greener" lifestyle, here is a great idea for wrapping gifts with flair, imagination, and reusable materials. It involves the Japanese art of Furoshiki.

Shibori Omiyage
Uploaded on April 15, 2008 by glennisd -* has this to say: "Originating from Japanese culture where it promotes caring for the environment and reducing waste, furoshiki is the eco-friendly wrapping cloth. Using techniques similar to origami, it can be used for gift wrapping, grocery shopping or simply as decor. Choose from a wide variety of sizes and designs to complement your lifestyle.'

"Why furoshiki? It is reusable and multipurpose. Each year billions of plastic bags end up as litter; reusable bags, such as furoshiki can help reduce the impact to our environment. Its versatility allows you to wrap almost anything regardless of its shape or size."


The younger Japanese generation had considered this art to be passé, that is until communities became more conscientious about reducing waste. Furoshiki is now enjoying a resurgence of popularity, interpreting beautifully into handbags and purses.

I have often used scarves, bath linens, and fabric scraps to create wraps that make a statement. One of my favorite uses of furoshiki is to wrap guest favors in a functional cloth dinner napkin.

Since pre-sewn or homemade furoshiki wraps require an investment (full price or discounted), I like to insure that the fabric will be perpetually forwarded. If the recipient has no interest in recycling the cloth, I politely ask for permission to reuse the wrap for a future gift.

Furoshiki Links:
* Shibori Girl explains that "omiyage" means "gift" in Japanese. The above photo shows a silk pillow filled with lavender and wrapped in a mini shibori furoshiki. The embellishments include a jeweled button at the center and a silk shibori ribbon flower.


Beverly said...

I'm glad to see that this concept is experiencing a renewal in popularity. I always try to wrap my gifts in something that has been or can be repurposed.

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Gosh girl! You are too smart. I can't sit by you. Actually...YEAH, I'm sitting by YOU!
How many languages do you know? Are you Octolingual? Is that a word? Can I phone a friend?

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

How wonderful! It looks pretty and can e reused! Thanks for stopping by. IIt seems I haven't had time to blog lately, but summer has been good!

DebraK from ~the Bunnies Bungalow~ said...

I am very aware of all the plastic bags that heavily impact the environment & try to recycle anything that I can!
I really hope this old idea becomes new again!
Hugs, DebraK

Mary Isabella said...

What a wonderful idea. Thank-you for posting this...Have a great weekend....Mary

Sally Ann said...

What a great idea,it is often easy to pick up cut offs of fabric I will look for them in future.