FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES
{ Click the Blog Banner to return to the Main Page }

Jul 29, 2008

Whole lotta shakin' goin' on...


At 11:42, we were getting ready to visit the brand new Target just south of our home when...

...the house jolted suddenly...
[
we headed for cover]
...shaking, creaking, rattling...
...several seconds of this...
...ending with a cradle-like rocking motion...

This quake was a 5.4 thrust quake where one side of the fault was thrust up on top of the other side. The epicenter was southwest of Chino Hills, California and we live 20 miles from there. As I was writing this, we experienced a 3.6 magnitude aftershock.

My eldest, Briana, has endured some major California quakes without ever waking up. Usually by the time we got to her, the quake was over. So, you can just imagine her surprise today! Likewise, my sons—ages 13 and 8—were wide-eyed and pumped as they experienced a quake, awake...

6 comments:

Dana said...

This has been all over the news today--we live in the KC, MO area. I am glad you are OK. I think I would just be beside myself if I was to experience an earthquake! Of course, we could very well experience a huge one some day as we are close to the New Madrid Fault

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_fault

I appreciated your time in posting about this event and I hope you and your family remain safe.

Beverly said...

I was wondering how all my blogging friends out your way were impacted. I'm glad to read that you are okay.

I thinking all of that shaking would have left me shaking, too.

NotJustLaura said...

Praise God you are all OK.

Judy Hartman said...

I'm so glad you're OK!
I experienced a quake a few years ago when visiting family in Santa Barbara! Very surreal, as the large wrought iron chandelier in the dining room swayed back and forth....
Take care out there on the west coast!!!

Marilyn Miller, the Marmalady said...

I am glad no one was hurt. I have felt a few earthquakes, but prefer staying far away from them.

Take care!

Sheila said...

I am so glad you and your family are ok after the quake! We have tornados around here and they are pretty scary!
I have missed you this summer, I have just been checking and keeping up on you.
I have been in one of those weird states of mind, just sorta dragging.
Next week school begins maybe I will be able to get back in the swing of things.
I sure have missed you!
:)
Sheila