FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES

Aug 4, 2008

A Munchers Paradise

(AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin) Boston.com

When I took a gander over at Whistlestop Cafe Cooking, I spotted Sandi's post ("Southern Style Pedicure?") witch contained the above photo. At first glance, this looked to me like a pedicure with leaves stuffed between toes. Then, I realized my error. These are FISH.....nibbling 33-year old Tracy Roberts' feet!

The country of Turkey started this practice and Asian countries followed suit. The fish are called garra rufa and nicknamed, perhaps lovingly, Doctor Fish. They have no teeth. They eat dead skin and leave the healthy tissue alone. What? They're picky eaters?

When several people submerge their feet at once, the fish will swim toward the greatest feast. The person with the largest amount of dead, scaly skin, WINS!

Can you imagine? The feet of 2 ladies are submerged in a fish tank. They chat happily until one woman notices that her feet aren't getting much action. She observes that her friend's feet look like sea urchins as dozens of fish fight for food! Wouldn't this fishy attention be a tad embarrassing?

Read more about it at Boston.com.


9 comments:

Beverly said...

I saw this on television recently. It just gives me the heebie jeebies.

KJ said...

I had not seen this before, obviously... I have heard that these fish really do the job. I actually would be open to trying it. The problem is, it's expensive and, so far, I think only the East Coast has this service available.

KJ

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

LOL, I saw this on a blog and television. We now have everything in the good old USA! I would think it would tickle, I grew up around lakes and the minnows used to do the same thing, it was free of course but as kids we would run screaming!

Have a wonderful evening.

Carolyn (Sea Mystery) said...

kj ... thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. I heard about this on TV too, but have not seen it here yet. Guess I wasn't looking at the trendier naileries. :) xxoo

Mary Isabella said...

Wow !!! I had never seen this before....Have a special day my friend...Mary

Joyce said...

I nearly put that same photo on my site too but....didn't. It seems soooo creepy. Ugh. I couldn't stand someone knawing on my toes like that. HA!

Julie said...

My luck, I'd get pirhanas! LOL!

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Hiya KJ!!

LOL--I just saw this on some TV program--and they were making a little bit of fun of one of the women there who all the fish were gathering around! hahaha!
Kinda creepy, don't you think? And I bet it tickles like crazy.
Smiles, Karen

NeereAnDear said...

I think about the best I can say on this is ewwwwwwwww!!!

HUGS

JO