FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES

Aug 3, 2008

Spiritual Sundays: Diving In!

In the classic Rogers and Hammerstein musical, Oklahoma, Ado Annie sings: "With me it's all er nuthin'. Is it all er nuthin' with you? It cain't be in between, It cain't be now and then. No half and half romance will do!" Although she's addressing a romantic relationship, there are some spiritual applications.

What causes us to be now and then; half and half; or in between? What prevents us from taking the leaps of faith needed to invest ourselves fully? Fear? Worry? Lack of resolve? The Bible reminds us that worry does not add one cubit to our stature (Matt. 6:27).
With "the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding (Phil. 4:7)," we can choose 100% commitment.

For instance, I love to swim and I typically dive into the pool head first. Years ago, I recognized that testing the water gives me too many reasons to do nothing. I don't disregard caution; but when the peace of God rules my heart, I can bypass the toe-dipping and take the plunge. The water may be freezing. At least I'm committed.

Philippians 4:6, 7 (The Message) "Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life."

[For more information or to participate, visit Spiritual Sundays.]

Note: To navigate to my main page, click HERE.

10 comments:

Beverly said...

I so fully agree with you. I make an effort to pray instead of worry. It isn't always an easy thing to escape, but I'm getting better at it.

Charlotte said...

Great post. I totally agree with it Thank you for participating in Spiritual Sundays.

ginger at enchanting cottage said...

Thank-you for such a wonderful and true post! I am so glad you came by and joined in on Spiritual Sundays.
Ginger

nannykim said...

Yup--I think its about being fully alive to God---there is nothing so exciting, is there? (the verse you quoted is one of my most favorites; I have it hanging on my wall in another version).

I think to we often fail to remember that we are in a spiritual warfare and satan wants us to live lifes that are not fully engaged with God. I think of the screwtape letters by C.S.Lewis--satan surely has many tricks up his sleeve to get us sidetracked. I wonder, how could I possibly (I can't spell!!!) get sidetracked away from this wonderful God!!?? But the sin in me is always present, thanks be to God for His great gift of life and faithfulness in His Son.

Carrie said...

Thank you for this encouraging perspective.

Clif said...

Fantastic post! Great message! I liked your illustration from Oklahoma. I grew up there and loved the movie. I missed the spiritual message. Thanks for pointing it out. Also, thanks for dropping by my blog today.

jamie in rose cottage said...

I tend to be a worrier; it's something I fight. But you are exactly right in what you've said in this post. Thanks for sharing.

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Awesome! I love your illustration so much I have dropped by several times to read it over :). Great spiritual post!

Have a glorious Sonday!
Kathi :)

Betty said...

That is something to make one really think. Too many times we try to solve our worries on our own not wanting to bother God with them. We all would be so much better off if we would take our worries to God first.

ShabbyInTheCity said...

I heard one pastor say that 'fear not' is in the bible 365 times :) one time per day! I'm gonna take his word on it :)