FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES
{ Click the Blog Banner to return to the Main Page }

Aug 20, 2008

Teahouse of the August Spoon - 10

On the wings of yesterday's post, let's take a moment to discuss the new image of teabags. First, allow me to say that while growing up, the staple tea in my home was Orange Pekoe, packaged in teabags. Until recently, I thought the name Orange Pekoe indicated the flavor of the tea. Not so. Actually, it refers to the grade of the tea. Sean Paajanen at About.com shares, "It's a good grade, but not a great grade. The grade is based on leaf size, but even Orange Pekoe tea is an inferior tea to a true whole leaf tea."

The newest trend in tea bags is the innovation of placing premium loose tea in elegant silken sachets. It's akin to using tea balls or mesh infusers, but with the convenience of discarding the entire sachet. It permits the tea to expand properly, enabling it to release all of the essential notes of flavor. It is important to know that even when using steeping tools like tea balls, you should always allow for expansion.

Check out
Harney & Sons, Master Tea Blenders for superb tea choices in silk sachets.

5 comments:

Bobbi Jo said...

Thank you so much for this information. It has helped me a great deal.
I do have a question I am wondering what the proper way to make Sassafras Tea is? I have some of the root and I love the tea but haven't had any in oh about 20 some years. I know it is great for thinning blood. If you could help me out I would greatly appreciate it Oh wise Tea Lady!! Hugs, Bobbi Jo

Bobbi Jo said...

Thank you again for the Sassafras tea page.
My daughter some how deleted the background but now I have my new one up. You are a doll!
Hugs, Bobbi Jo

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Oh, interesting! I didn't know!

Thanks for stopping by and asking about the wedding. It was really lovely. A surreal day for me. The happiest day of my life mixed in with the sadness of letting her go. I'll share more later...

Blessings,
Melissa

Becky K. said...

Hi KJ,
I am enjoying your tea series. I am learning so much....

Mrs. Rabe, (Creekside Cottage), is the one in our circle of friends who hosts teas, etc. She is the expert. I need to get better about this.

Becky K.

Beverly said...

KJ, once again you are teaching me. I have so enjoyed this series.

I would love to have been able to participate, but I'm trying to keep from drowning at work.

Thanks for all of the inspiration.