FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES

Aug 28, 2008

Teahouse of the August Spoon - 13


Today, with the last of my August Teahouse installments, I would like to share what I believe adds the HEART to teatime and/or coffee breaks: scrumptious treats! In my 12th post in this series, I asked my readers to share some of their favorite indulgences. Take a look at the contributions...



Jeanne of
Backyard Neighbor gave us this tempting dessert. She wrote, "I love tea and teatime. I do have a recipe (from scratch) called Sour Cream Coffee Cake. Delicious!"

Ingredients:
2 sticks butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder.

Topping: Mix all 3 items together
6 Tbs sugar
5 tsp cinnamon
1 cup chopped nuts

Cream sugar and butter. Beat until fluffy. Add the rest of wet ingredients. Fold in flour. Grease well a bundt pan. Place 1/3 batter in pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 topping. Add 1/3 of batter. Spread remaining topping. Add remaining batter. Preheat oven ˚350. Bake approx. 1 hour. Test at 50 minutes. When done let rest 10 min then turn out onto plate. Mmmmmmm!
___________________________________

Beverly of Tea Time and Roses had this to say... "I must say, I am not a avid baker but I do love a delicious butter cookie with tea! I adore these cookies, and at holiday time I make sure we have only the best for company and tea time! A simple treat, but oh so delicious!"
___________________________________

Bobbie Jo of
It's Good to be Queen slipped some chocolate into our beverage break... She wrote, "Dark chocolate is always a winner with me. For a home made treat try Self Filled Cup-Cakes. I use the recipe for the Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Hershey's Cake. Before making this, preheat oven to ˚325. Then you place the batter in a lined cup-cake tin. Fill 3/4 of the way full. The mixture for dropping in is as follows: 1 pkg. cream cheese softened, 1/2 c. chocolate chips, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1 egg, and a dash of salt. Mix together. Then drop a heaping spoonful into each cupcake. Place in oven for 25-30 min. They will puff up and the cake mix will cover the filling. These are so yummy and don't last long around our house. Very good with a Jasmine tea."
___________________________________

Marilyn Miller of Delights of the Heart shared this... "I love a light fluffy cream scone with butter, cream, and jam. Two please."
___________________________________

Joyce of the Secret Gardener contributed this... "I love Cucumber Sandwiches and my friend, Marsha, makes the BEST ones in the whole world. Even Lord Wedgewood (from the "Wedgewood" china company in England) told her the same thing when he was here in Baton Rouge a couple of years ago."
___________________________________

Cyndi from Pennsylvania shared Ken's No Bake Peach Pie. "I made the most fun peach pie this afternoon. I heard it on our local radio channel while driving the other day. I went to the website and got it. Yummies. I used sugar—excellent, even without whipped cream. Oh, to get peach skins off, you boil water in a pan and then put 4 in at a time and let them boil for 5 minutes. Then I put them in a bowl of ice water for 5 more minutes. The skins will fall off. I used 8 peaches and that was too many. So Randy and I ate the extra ones that didn't fit in the pie."

Ken’s No Bake Peach Pie
By Ken Hess
Mechanicsburg, PA

1 cup sugar (or Splenda)
2.5 Tbsp corn starch
Pinch of salt

Place the above in a 2 or 3 quart saucepan and mix thoroughly. Add 1 cup of water, stir and cook on burner until clear. Remove from heat and add one package of apricot or peach Jell-O (Ken recommends apricot) stir until dissolved. Add 3 cups of fresh peaches; place this mixture in the refrigerator for 30-minutes. Remove and place contents into a Keebler 9” ready-made shortbread pie crust. Return to refrigerator for 1.5 hours minimum. Add whipped cream and serve. Delicious!
___________________________________

Carolyn (sea mystery) of Harbor Hon introduces us to this Baltimore goody. "My favorite teatime yummy is Berger Cookies. They are a soft shortbread with a huge dollop of dark chocolate icing on top. They have them here at the original Bergers Cookie Bakery at Lexington Market in Baltimore, MD, but you can also get them online. They are my one indulgence when it comes to a hot cup of either Formosa Oolong or Irish Tea."

3 comments:

Carolyn (sea mystery) said...

KJ, thanks for including me in your list. Made me feel really special. Hope everyone gets to try these cookies. I'm having lunch with a friend tomorrow and picked up a freshly made box for him today. xxoo

Tea Time and Roses said...

Hello Karen!

I have so enjoyed your beautiful Tea series...simply wonderful! Remember I told you I am not a big baker! Well Ken's No Bake Peach Pie I must try and it sounds delicious! I am so excited about it, and will let you know how it turns out! You and your family have a wonderful holiday weekend!

Smiles...

Beverly

Arleen ~ The Tea Room said...

Hello KJ. Thank you so very much for including The Tea Room in your list of favorite blogs. I'm so flattered! I wish I had known you were having a month-long focus on tea ~ I would have joined in the fun!

I'll be back to visit you on a regular basis. Thanks again!

~Arleen