FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES
{ Click the Blog Banner to return to the Main Page }

Aug 5, 2008

Teahouse of the August Spoon - 1

Silk Ribbon - Pink & Green - Bailiwick Designs at Flickr.com

Several posts ago, I promised that I would be doing a series in August called, "Teahouse of the August Spoon." Perhaps you're familiar with the satirical 1956 Movie, Teahouse of the August Moon, starring Glenn Ford and Marlon Brando. The movie was adapted from the original stage play and the plot centered around Americans who were still in Japan one year after World War II was over. Basically, the only thing I have borrowed from the film is the title and some of the Japanese influence on tea matters.

This month, I will be dipping my teaspoon into the sweet teacups of life. When I first began this blog, I emphasized coffee to the point that some readers thought I was running a coffee blog. I like to think of myself more as a tea aficionado. As you can see from the above photo, teacups can be full of surprises!

So join with me as we explore some of the wonderful attributes of tea, the pleasure of taking it, and its embellishments.

TEA TIP:


Sean Paajanen, the host of About.com: Coffee/Tea recently answered this question...
Question: Why does my iced tea turn cloudy?

Answer:
Iced tea usually turns cloudy because you've chilled it too quickly, like putting it straight into the fridge while still quite warm. Various particles in the tea (like tannin) come out of solution and darken your iced tea. Let your freshly made iced tea cool to room temperature before putting it in the fridge.

7 comments:

Beverly said...

Okay, this is going to be fun, and I'm going to love it.

I love the picture, and I actually knew that about cooling iced tea. I am from the south, you know. I would be held accountable if I didn't know about iced tea.

BailiwickDesigns said...

Iced tea is a staple for me during summer! I buy it ready made, though - Tejava Tea is the best! Nothing but black tea and water - perfect because I don't care to sweeten it. ::Jill

Marilyn Miller, the Marmalady said...

Love the picture!

You can also make a cold brew in the refrigerator over night and it won't become cloudy.

Bluestocking said...

I didn't know that about iced tea.

Carolyn (Sea Mystery) said...

Thanks for telling me this. Always wondered why my tea would look like muddy water sitting in my fridge. Great tip and I will follow it next time. xxoo

Julie said...

I can't stand iced tea, but love that pink and green combination of the ribbons.

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

KJ, I have enjoyed reading over your tea posts! This one especially caught my eye because of the pretty cup with satin ribbon. I may have to do that with some of my Mother's tie-dyed ribbon.

Wonderful tea information! I too love coffee but also love tea, iced right now as it's too hot.

Kathi :)