FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES

Sep 7, 2008

Poetry Challenge: Diamond Poetry

I love poetry challenges! I believe that each of us has poetry surging through our souls. It may be a modest stream, but words always await expression. Here, many reluctant poets have responded to poetry challenges and crafted some delicious images because of it!

Our challenge today is DIAMOND POETRY. Now, before you switch blogs, you need to know that participating could help
you earn a $10.00 gift card to Starbucks or Target: your choice... Are you with me? Here's an example:

Summer
Torrid, Humid
Lounging, Sipping, Napping
Shades, Sundress — Sweater, Scarf
Raking, Piling, Leaping
Windy, Dry
Autumn


-By Karen June Miller
Instructions:
  • Line 1: Write down a noun. Then skip to line 7 and write the opposite of that noun or a noun that represents a contrast.
  • Line 2: Write 2 adjectives describing the subject.
  • Line 3: Write 3 participles (words ending in "ing") that relate to the subject.
  • Line 4: Write 4 nouns related to the subject. The second pair of nouns should show a shift toward the ending noun or mean the opposite.
  • Line 5: Write 3 participles that show the change or development of the subject.
  • Line 6: Write 2 adjectives carrying on the idea of change or development.
  • Line 7: One noun that is the opposite of the subject on the first line.
The example serves as a guideline. The words are centered to form a diamond pattern and the meaning gradually shifts from top to bottom.

Rules:
  1. Submit as many Diamond Poems as you wish.
  2. They should be related to the season.
  3. The Deadline to enter is Tuesday, September 9th at Midnight PST.
  4. On Wednesday, September 10th, my readers will be able to select their favorite Diamond Poem. So, come back to vote. Guidelines will be posted.
Have FUN!

11 comments:

Beverly said...

Spring
Colorful, Pretty
Blooming, Renewing, Refreshing
Flowers, Bunnies - Leaves, Pumpkins
Raking, Baking, Carving
Chilly, Frosty
Autumn

Judy Hartman said...

KJ,
I'm loving this music and getting to work on my poem(s)!!!
Fun stuff!

:~) Judy

CIELO said...

Oh, I love this idea--my poet heart is singing with joy! :) I'll send you my poem soon....

by the way, hope you can participate in our "Window Party", this Monday, Sept 8th... I know everyone is so busy these days, but it's really very simple--come see!

cielo

kari and kijsa said...

KJ,

You had us with the words "poetry contest"! Here's our entry:

Leaves
Verdant, effervescent
Bursting, burgeoning, maturing
Life, voyage, journey, chapter
Trumpeting, spiraling, swirling
Stark, empty
Branches

Have a blessed and wonderful day.

smiles, kari & kijsa

kari and kijsa said...

pumpkins
orange, smooth
seeding, cutting, carving
eyes, nose - seeds, fruit
mixing, stirring, patting
oven, plate
pie

Okay, so I had to jump in too!! (kijsa) you know the sisters and a poem!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

CIELO said...

Ok, KJ... I know I'm not going to have time for a while being so busy lately, so here is my entry:

Autumn
Magical, mellow
Reaping, dreaming, nestling
Leaves, haze -- daffodils, birds
Planting, dancing, singing
Luminous, limpid
Spring

Have a wonderful weekend!

Cielo

Tea Time and Roses said...

Hey Karen!

Sounds like so much fun! I will send a poem your way! Wishing you and your family a wonderful weekend!

Smiles...

Beverly

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Kijsa got me with "oven, plate, pie"!!! I met those sweet sisters last Christmas :)
I am going to do this in a minute...I want you to also read my current post...a writing contest I entered and there is still time for you to enter too!

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Hayride
itchy,kissy
bumping,laughing,flirting,
Autumn, Halloween, Christmas, Winter,
bundling,singing,celebrating,
snowy,jingly,
Sleighride

Jeanne said...

KJ, you are making my brain work way too hard this time of night. I'll sleep on it and submit something tomorrow.

Hugs, Jeanne

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

pumpkins
orange, round
trick or treating, baking,pie
jack-o-latern, halloween,pie, Thanksgiving
snowing, falling, freezing
cold, frosty
snowballs