FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES
{ Click the Blog Banner to return to the Main Page }

Sep 20, 2008

Spiritual Sundays: Brother Lawrence


Excerpt from, "The Practice of the Presence of God,"
by Brother Lawrence
To practice the presence of God is to live in the conscious awareness of Our Father, engaging in quiet and continuous conversation with Him. It means we live an inner life of unceasing prayer and we strive for all we think, say, and do to be an outward reflection of what is pleasing to God.

To practice the presence of God is to simply and humbly walk the closer walk. It is a closer walk because each day our hope is to get closer, to be closer to Our Lord than we were the day before. Ever closer. As both a direction and a goal, this closer walk is also a very potent, private, and personal awareness of the present moment with God. He lives in us as we live in Him.

How can anything this simple, this basic, be so profound and precious? Yet, it is. How can this walk, this conversation, this practice bring us any closer to Him than we are right now? Yet, it does. Thank You, Father.
JUST A CLOSER WALK WITH THEE

Just a closer walk with Thee,

Grant it, Jesus, is my plea,
Daily walking close to Thee,
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.

Through this world of toil and snares,
If I falter, Lord, who cares?
Who with me my burden shares?
None but Thee, dear Lord, none but Thee.

from 'Just A Closer Walk With Thee', author unknown

3 comments:

Clif said...

Good stuff! Very thoughtful and encouraging. I noticed you are writing a book. Writing is hard work. Let me encourage you to keep on keeping on. Stay with it!

Charlotte said...

What a wonderful post on walking closely with the Lord. That's a good song too. We used to sing it often in church.

ginger at enchanting cottage said...

Sometime I feel like I am walking side by side with God and think to myself that I can't get any closer then the next day I feel him holding my hand. What a great post.
Thank-you
ginger