FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES
{ Click the Blog Banner to return to the Main Page }

Sep 13, 2008

Spiritual Sundays: Leaves Withering, Fading, and Dropping...

With autumn upon us, I feel led to focus on Scripture that tells us that meditating on the law of the Lord is a means of prevention, in that our leaf will not wither, fade, or drop. I have pulled my selected text out of 3 different translations.

Psalm 1:2-3 (New King James Version)
1 Blessed is the man
Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly,
Nor stands in the path of sinners,
Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;
2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
And in His law he meditates day and night.
3 He shall be like a tree
Planted by the rivers of water,
That brings forth its fruit in its season,
Whose leaf also shall not wither;
And whatever he does shall prosper.

Psalm 1:1-3 (MSG Bible)
1 How well God must like you— you don't hang out at Sin Saloon, you don't slink along Dead-End Road, you don't go to Smart-Mouth College.
2-3 Instead you thrill to God's Word,
you chew on Scripture day and night.
You're a tree replanted in Eden,
bearing fresh fruit every month,
Never dropping a leaf,
always in blossom.

Psalm 1:1-3 (Amplified Bible)
1 [a] BLESSED (HAPPY, fortunate, prosperous, and enviable) is the man who walks and lives not in the counsel of the ungodly [following their advice, their plans and purposes], nor stands [submissive and inactive] in the path where sinners walk, nor sits down [to relax and rest] where the scornful [and the mockers] gather.
2 But his delight and desire are in the law of the Lord, and on His law (the precepts, the instructions, the teachings of God) he habitually meditates (ponders and studies) by day and by night.
3 And he shall be like a tree firmly planted [and tended] by the streams of water, ready to bring forth its fruit in its season; its leaf also shall not fade or wither; and everything he does shall prosper [and come to maturity].

a. Psalm 1:1 This has been called "The Preface Psalm" because in some respects it may be considered "the text upon which the whole of the Psalms make up a divine sermon." It opens with a benediction, "Blessed," as does our Lord's Sermon on the Mount (Matt. 5:3).

5 comments:

Charlotte said...

What an appropriate scripture for this time of year. I like the Amplified version best. I think it is good to read scriptures in different versions. Thank you for sharing this.
Autumn blessings to you.

Charlotte said...

Thank you for your comment comparing us today to ancient Rome. We need to be reminded of how a mighty empire can fall. I'm afraid the U.S. is following down the same path that Rome did.

ginger at enchanting cottage said...

Okay, I am embarrassed to say this but I have never heard of the Amplified version before, but I like it very much. Thank-you for these scriputres I enjoyed them. And also for telling be about the Amplified version. Next time I buy a Bible I will look at that version.
Thank-you
Ginger

Peggy said...

Blessings KJ...and thanks for the comparative study on Psalm 1. I find it so useful to compare the
different versions! I love autumn!
I will choose to meditate on HIS WORD so that my leaves do not wither, fade or drop! I want my color to be vibrant as I plant myself by the River of His Living Water! I pray that I may bear fruit in due season and others will prosper as I do! I desire this BLESSING and those of the Sermon on the Mount! May you find yourself in the Beautitudes and delighting in this Spiritual Son day and week!

Anonymous said...

This is such a rich passage of scripture that could probably be divided into 3 sections: 1)there is the command of what not to do, 2)there is the command of what to do, and 3)there is given the result of a life lived in obediance and the other in disobediance...who says the bible is not profitable for our daily lives?