FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES

Oct 19, 2008

Spiritual Sundays - Horses and Chariots

It has been a bittersweet week or so. A mentor and friend, Antoinette Puglia, succumbed to cancer but crossed the finish line into Glory. When questioned about the prospect of healing, she had replied, "Either way, I win!" And, she did win!

I received the very unexpected news that my special friend, Sheryl Gurwell, passed away in her sleep. Sheryl had been like the cat with 9 lives. She had miraculously survived many health issues and surgeries in her life. She was a walking miracle! Yesterday, God called her home.

My husband is at a church retreat this weekend and he reported that an attendee was killed on his motorcycle going down the mountain. This man's church is doing the Worship for the retreat. He left behind a wife and young child.

I used the word bittersweet and there was a sweet side to these past several days. One of my gifted brothers, Bret, has stepped beside me in my business to take it to the next level. His creative spirit and adept audio visual skills will no doubt help to usher in the resources and ingenuity that my business needs. What an answer to prayer!
These are fascinating times, aren't they? I don't need to rehearse the financial woes and the turbulent political climate. We are all feeling its weight and, for some, it's crushing blows.

When I went to bed last night, the Lord laid horses and chariots on my heart. Certainly, if our trust and reliance is in man or anything else, our hope is built on sinking sand. God's hand is not short and He is able to deliver. Below are several passages that illuminate the theme.
2 Kings 18:24 NKJ How then will you repel one captain of the least of my master’s servants, and put your trust in Egypt for chariots and horsemen?

Psalm 20:7 NKJ Some trust in chariots, and some in horses; But we will remember the name of the LORD our God.

Psalm 20:7 (The Message) 7-8 See those people polishing their chariots, and those others grooming their horses? But we're making garlands for God our God. The chariots will rust, those horses pull up lame— and we'll be on our feet, standing tall.

Isaiah 36:9
NKJ How then will you repel one captain of the least of my master’s servants, and put your trust in Egypt for chariots and horsemen?

Isaiah 31:1 NKJ [ The Folly of Not Trusting God ] Woe to those who go down to Egypt for help, And rely on horses, Who trust in chariots because they are many, And in horsemen because they are very strong, But who do not look to the Holy One of Israel, Nor seek the LORD!
Isaiah 31:1 (The Message)
Impressed by Military Mathematics
1-3 Doom to those who go off to Egypt thinking that horses can help them, Impressed by military mathematics, awed by sheer numbers of chariots and riders— And to The Holy of Israel, not even a glance, not so much as a prayer to God. Still, he must be reckoned with, a most wise God who knows what he's doing. He can call down catastrophe. He's a God who does what he says. He intervenes in the work of those who do wrong, stands up against interfering evildoers. Egyptians are mortal, not God, and their horses are flesh, not Spirit. When God gives the signal, helpers and helped alike will fall in a heap and share the same dirt grave.
Click HERE to see the Spiritual Sunday posts of others.

8 comments:

Clif said...

Everybody loves a good story. Your story is good even though it does contain saddness. It's a story about real life. You selected powerful Scriptures to illustrate your theme. Great!

char72 said...

I hadn't thought about those horses and chariot scriptures in a long time. This is a good time to remember them. Thank you for the reminder.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Smilingsal said...

I'm sorry for the losses you've experienced but so glad that there's a joy to be found.

ginger at enchanting cottage said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend and also the man from church. It was a tough week for you. I will keep you and your business in my prayers. Thank-you so much for such a wonderful post about life.
God Bless,
Ginger

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

I'm sorry to hear of your losses...to be absent from the body is to be present with our Lord. Your scriptures are precious and I enjoyed your thoughts about horses and chariots, sometimes it just feels that way doesn't it?

Blessings, prayers and hugs,
Kathi

Joyce said...

So sorry to hear your news...we do know that that in all these circumstances that Heaven is rejoicing however.
Good word on the "Chariots and Horses".....we too are "Lifting our EYES to the Hills from where our HELP comes from" that is forsure....it's going to be okay.....a bit rought but we will get through the turbulent times.

Hey I just wrote something Saturday night called....."WE Win"....great minds think alike you know. HA!
Hang in there......
Joyce
Ummm can you tell I haven't done ANYTHING on Twitter in forever? HA!

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Oooo...so many losses. I saw on facebook that you were dealing with one. Now I see it is more. We woke up to sad, sad news yesterday. What we thought was a cousin's death to a heart attack...well, he actually had his arm torn off on a conveyor belt. A very precious man. His girls are my best friends.

Cherdecor said...

Thank you for reminding us of these scriptures. I think we are going to need them!