FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES

Oct 26, 2008

Spiritual Sundays - Humbling Ourselves

My childhood understanding of consequences carried with it a negative connotation. I thought consequences were always the natural results of wrong choices. Years later, I realized that consequences were good or bad, and sometimes even a bittersweet mixture. For instance, I once needed to address an inappropriate situation within a ministry. The consequences entailed my family leaving for a much healthier church environment; but it was 2 years before a specific friend would speak to me again.

The behavioral model in our home is "Choose a behavior, choose a consequence." As I explain to my children, this is a truth that will shape the coarse of their lives and even the destiny of a nation. Ronald Reagan illuminated 2 Chronicles 7:14 in one of his eloquent speeches. It was indelible to me. I also find it interesting that the number 7, the Biblical number for completion, is included in the scripture's address 3 times: once by itself and then doubled.

With our economy and political future teetering in the balance, I believe we can once again use this passage to very possibly alter what the media is prophesying over us. If we will just humble ourselves...

2 Chronicles 7:14 (New King James Version) 14 if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

2 Chronicles 7:14 (Amplified Bible) 14 If My people, who are called by My name, shall humble themselves, pray, seek, crave, and require of necessity My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven, forgive their sin, and heal their land.

2 Chronicles 7:14 (The Message) 12-14 God appeared to Solomon that very night and said, "I accept your prayer; yes, I have chosen this place as a temple for sacrifice, a house of worship. If I ever shut off the supply of rain from the skies or order the locusts to eat the crops or send a plague on my people, and my people, my God-defined people, respond by humbling themselves, praying, seeking my presence, and turning their backs on their wicked lives, I'll be there ready for you: I'll listen from heaven, forgive their sins, and restore their land to health.

Click HERE to see the Spiritual Sunday posts of others.

5 comments:

char72 said...

I love this scripture and it is so appropriate for us right now. I believe this is happening. I believe as the election draws closer more and more of us are going to God in prayer and begging for his healing of our nation. Thank you for this post.
Charlotte

Clif said...

Absolutely true! Thanks for the reminder. Ah humility, how difficult it is to humble ourselves. In reference to your first paragraph--I too once left a church and in the process my best friend, who was my room-mate in college hasn't spoken to me in almost 20 years. He was hurt that I left what he considered to be the "only" true church.

Smilingsal said...

Thank you for sharing this scripture. Happy Spiritual Sunday!

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

This is one of my favorite verses, it keeps going through my head right now. How wonderful to stop by and see you've posted it today.

Blessings to you!
Kathi :)

ginger at enchanting cottage said...

Thank-you for these scripture today. We do need to humble ourselves.Oh how I pray for our nation. And also that this will bring people closer to God.
Thank-you,
Ginger