FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES

Feb 26, 2009

Feelin' Groovy (I dare you to sing!)

This week, one of the words on Brock's spelling list is groovy. I wish groovy had been on my 3rd grade spelling test! I still use this word, receiving amused looks from comrades. It is one of my favorite adjectives.

I was inspired to sing the "59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)." I began to move in my imaginary Gene Kelly dance shoes, whirling around lampposts and working those curbs. Come on, I dare you to sing and dance with me. It does the soul good to lighten one's load!

59TH STREET BRIDGE SONG
(FEELIN' GROOVY)
Simon and Garfunkel
Slow down, you move too fast.
You got to make the morning last.
Just kicking down the cobble stones.
Looking for fun and feelin' groovy.

Ba da, Ba da, Ba da, Ba da...Feelin' Groovy.

Hello lamp-post,
What cha knowin'?
I've come to watch your flowers growin'.
Ain't cha got no rhymes for me?
Doot-in' doo-doo,
Feelin' groovy.

I've got no deeds to do,
No promises to keep.
I'm dappled and drowsy and ready to sleep.
Let the morning time drop all its petals on me.
Life, I love you,
All is groovy.
Were you aware that the word groovy was not generated out of the 60's hippie movement? It actually gained prominence about 25 years before that.

groovy
Pronunciation: \ˈgrü-vē\
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): groov·i·er; groov·i·est
Date: circa 1937
(Merriam-Webster)

1 : marvelous , wonderful , excellent
2 : hip , trendy

Mapped by Visual Thesaurus

5 comments:

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Lavender Hill Studio said...

I feel at home...lol. I am 55 and this song really brings back memories!

Judy Hartman said...

Love that song, loved that album!!!
Thanks for the reminder!

Julie said...

I have always loved that song - and it still makes me want to dance when I hear it.

BailiwickDesigns said...

Love this song! It reminds me of a particular summer in my life - one that was especially sunny, carefree, and fun. I must have heard it a lot during those days! ::Jill

salwar kameez said...

Excellent article. Thanks to share.