FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES

Mar 1, 2009

Spiritual Sundays: A Merry Heart



The Bible promises a medicinal concoction, an elixir—a secret weapon of sorts—to perpetuate the health of our bodies. It isn't sold via infomercial or over the counter. We can't overdose on it. It doesn't contain chemicals or ill side effects. We will never have to dicker with insurance companies and it's available to us 24/7.

The Great Physician prescribed this medicine without an expiration date. The positive side effects are joy and laughter: both highly contagious. Laughter releases endorphins which are neurotransmitters that help to relieve pain in the body and also induce euphoria. While some individuals turn to addictive drugs to manufacture this high, a cheerful heart is a harmless addiction.

This free medicine is the ultimate "stimulus package." It won't rob from your future and it's easily activated through humor, gratitude, love, meditating on the Word of God, and worshiping the Most High. (And, a little chocolate and exercise won't hurt either.)

Proverbs 17:22 (New King James Version)

22 A merry heart does good, like medicine,
But a broken spirit dries the bones.

Proverbs 17:22 (The Message)

22 A cheerful disposition is good for your health;
gloom and doom leave you bone-tired.

Proverbs 17:22 (Amplified Bible)

22 A happy heart is good medicine and a cheerful mind works healing, but a broken spirit dries up the bones.

Proverbs 17:22 (New International Version)

22 A cheerful heart is good medicine,
but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.


Find more inspiration visiting Spiritual Sundays.
Click
HERE.

12 comments:

Charlotte said...

Welcome back to Spiritual Sundays.
What a good post. What a good prescription from the Bible you have given. It is so true too. Laughter is the best medicine is something I've heard all my life.
Thanks for sharing this with us today.

saleslady371 said...

I feel so good when I laugh, I know laughter is from God. Have a great Sunday! The cartoon is me when my hubby just blessed me with a new laptop.

Smilingsal said...

I love to laugh; thank you for the chuckle. Happy Spiritual Sunday.

Clif said...

I'm laughing! It is good medicine. Thanks for your encouraging post.

Dixie said...

Amen, Amen, Amen and Amen...

Joyfully, Dixie

Shabbywears said...

Praise the Lord...Love the post!!!;)
Julie

Shauna said...

I am new here! What a great blog :)

ginger at enchanting cottage said...

WOW! I loved this, thank-you so much. I know a few people that I may show this scripure too.
God Bless,
Ginger

Renee said...

Your cartoon is great and I just wanted to mention that I love your playlist.

Renee

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

Great post!!!...m.

Joyce said...

I like that......HA! HA!
You know me....:~)

Mrs.Kwitty said...

A good reminder KJ!!
Blessings!
Karen