FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES
{ Click the Blog Banner to return to the Main Page }

Apr 23, 2009

From Fat to F.A.T.

A little transparency here... I have contended with weight ups and downs since I was a toddler. I was a chunky chica in an era that considered baby fat to be part of a healthy upbringing. Unfortunately, this established a preset for the years ahead. Throughout my adolescence, I was never huge, but I was usually dealing with at least 10 to 20 extra pounds. Before marriage, I became very slim while singing and dancing in a vocal band. After getting married and having 3 children, my weight began to gradually climb until "mental pause" brought my metabolism to a screeching HALT!

STOP THE TRAIN!

I dream thin. I always have. And, my outer reality is not in alignment. Up until a week ago, I weighed more than I have ever weighed. I don't dislike me, I'm just miserable living in this body. I have less energy and I am noticing unfavorable changes.

At 51, it would be easy to think that looking good again is futile since I no longer have a youthful body hiding beneath this upholstery. The thought of drapes, flagging upper arms, and jowls is far from appealing, but I do believe that by placing the emphasis on health, I could easily surprise myself.

I love turning negatives into positives. (I have often seen God use negative circumstances to birth something new or simply upgrade my life.) F.A.T. = Fit and Trim. I gave up calorie and carb counters many moons ago. I refuse to interrupt the sensual pleasures of eating with statistics.

My plan is based on something I have always loved: the Mediterranean diet. Not long ago, while shopping at a business closure, I picked up a fabulous book written by a female Italian chef. I will divulge the title and details in my next post. Lets just say that I have already lost 4 pounds! Woo woo!

To be continued...

15 comments:

Becky K. said...

I can relate!

I'll be watching.

Cyndi Evans said...

Hey...I have been walking on the treadmill since February. Last night I decided to not do only one mile (5x a week) but a whole hour and I got 2 1/2 miles done! I am going to try to do this each day. I was watching a dvd Pride and Prejudice. One of my favorite movies.

I haven't really changed my eating too much except to stay away from sugar and watch how many breads I am taking in. I follow the Blood Type theory with eating.

Love you..exercise is important too.

Judy Hartman said...

Please DO let us know the name of that book, KJ!
I'm at the same point- concerned more about health than looks, although it would feel good to feel lithe and attractive again!!
I'll be anxious to hear more!!
Hope you are well.
Hugs,
Judy

KJ said...

THANKS TO ALL! Support is soooo very important!

Hopefully, I will get around to posting more information today. The grand thing is that it is not some new formula. It is simply something that has worked for entire populations throughout the centuries.

Hugs, KJ

BittersweetPunkin said...

Good for you! I have recently lost 11 lbs and counting...I cut out all processed foods, white flour, white rice...etc. I only eat whole wheat grains, protein, fruits and vegetables. I have quite a bit more weight to go but at least I found out what my body was storing up for later!

NeereAnDear said...

I am so happy that you stopped by... it has been a long time since we have "seen" each other eh?? LOL

I do miss that...

I must say this is a post that is dear to my heart because I too am at my heaviest.... not even when I had my childrent did I weigh this much!! After I had them I was quite small but the years and the lack of exercise with the broken foot have taken a toll... I used to walk... which I am unable to do now...

I am looking forward to the name of the book you have in store for us...

I agree too ...encouragement is a key factor.... I have been doing a gluten free diet myself... and I have lost 15 lbs... 20 of which I gained after my surgery... but I go back and forth sometimes...which is not good... they have wonderful products out there for those on a gluten free diet...even bread...it has none of the preservatices or wheat... which is a no for me anyhow...but I do love a piece of hot buttered bread once in a while...

maybe we can compare notes...

wasnt that post about Susan just awesome?? makes your heart sing to hear a voice like that...

HUGS AND LOVE TO YOU DEAR ONE
JO

Joyce said...

You go girl.......I need some help too so fill us in on whatever you can. HA!

The Bloom Girls said...

I am looking forward to reading more about this diet! I have the same annoying 10 - 20 pounds that has lingered forever! I will be checking back! :)

Blessings to you!

Karyn
The Bloom Girls

Alison Gibbs said...

Good Luck.
I was in the same place - similar age 54 when I started on my own weight loss program this year. Since 7th January I have lost 23 kilograms - 50 pounds. It has been hard but the time was right and my 'head' was ready for it. Sometimes if you aren't in the right frame of mind then nothing works.
Alison

Tea Time and Roses said...

Hello Karen!

Good for you my friend! Enjoy a beautiful weekend!

Smiles...

Beverly

Skeeter said...

Hi!

Wow, this is a great concept. I like the pyramid. Thanks for posting it.

Best wishes,

Skeeter

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

Wow what a great start!!!! have a blessed week...m.

Bliss said...

I'm with you tee-totally! Same feelings and same weight loss :)
High five KJ!!!

Bliss said...

Come over...

Tea Time and Roses said...

Stopping by to wish you a fabulous weekend!

Smiles...

Beverly