FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES
{ Click the Blog Banner to return to the Main Page }

Aug 26, 2009

Julie and Julia

Meryl Streep in Julie and Julia

I left the theater tonight close to 9:00 PM, having just seen Julie and Julia with my good friend, Lynn. As I returned to my car in the dry, 85 degree California heat, my thoughts collided playfully like bumper cars and giggles. Truly, I had just journeyed through so many of the things I enjoy—food, writing, blogging, Meryl Streep, France, culture, vintage fashion...

This is by no means a review of the movie. There are enough of those. However, I regard Meryl Streep as the female Lawrence Olivier of acting. Unlike so many other entertaining actors, Meryl has the gift of transformation, taking on quirks and mannerisms as if she has spent a lifetime studying for a role. I will be watching this movie again just to study the detail in which she brought Julia to life. Oh, and Stanley Tucci's romantic portrayal of Julia's husband, Paul, was definitely a plus.

Julia Child - AP

A few years back, I purchased the audible version of My Life in France by Julia Child, a book completed by her grandnephew Alex Prud'homme after Julia's death at the age of 91 in 2004. Indeed, this book was the primer to Julia's story as I recognized many passages, including the hilarious visit from her Pasadena, California sister. I recommend the audible version of this book if you love cooking and France. One is quickly drawn into the narrative, replete with French names and phrases, depicting her early culinary adventures at the "Roo de Loo," Julia and Paul's nickname for their small kitchen on rue de l'Université.

And, Julie's side of the story provided a booster shot for my blogging. Rushing home to blog, I quickly sprayed the annoying ants that had invaded our hall bathroom and moved to my now purring Mac after it's recent hard drive crash. I understood what Julie's character was about, even without the compulsion to recreate every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, which actually seems daunting to me.

And the cherry topper was that Lynn and I nailed down the telephone voice of the actor playing Julie's mother: Mary Kay Place. High five, Lynn!

Some links of interest:
NOTE: The only disappointment for me with this movie is what I feel to be the unnecessary use of foul language. It was a classy story that could have survived nicely without the explitives.

AN ASIDE: My dear buddy Joyce just pointed out my original use of "fowl" in this post, saying that she did not hear any "clucking and crowing" in this movie, only bad words. It's too bad that Spell Check can't discern context. Thanks, Joyce!

8 comments:

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I'm really looking forward to seeing the movie but I put a warning about the book on my blog (since it is in all the stores due to the movie).

It was such a disappointment to me. It is full of vulgar language and so defiling that I took it back to the library after reading about four chapters.

Except for the language at times, I've heard enough good things about the movie that I do plan to see it, even if I hated the book.

Anonymous said...

qa aq qw wq ws sw we ew ed de er re rf fr rt tr tg gt ty yt yh hy yu uy uj ju ui iu ik ki io oi ol lo pl lp as sd df fg gh hj jk kl zx xc cv vb bn

Alison Gibbs said...

I am so looking forward to seeing this movie. It is not released here in Australia until 8th October
so I have a while to wait
Alison

Cyndi Evans said...

POPPING in to say hi..I have not seen this movie yet. I am more of the stay home and wait till it comes out on dvd and then just buy it! hee hee. Be good. Take care. I love the tea I won here!

Tea Time and Roses said...

Hello Dear Karen!

Have not as yet seen the movie, but I just love Julia Child. Her voice is so unique and beautiful. She indeed was a remarkable woman.:o) Take care my friend and enjoy a lovely week.:o)

Smiles...

Beverly

Becky said...

Have been wanting to see this movie, but have not yet. Thank you for the warning about the language.

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I also want to see this movie. Good post..m.

Susie Q said...

It was wonderful wasn't it? The food was as musch a co star as any of the humans! : )
The *aside* at the bottom made me giggle! : )

Love,
Sue