FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES

Oct 10, 2009

Fall




Gathering Leaves

Spades take up leaves
No better than spoons,
And bags full of leaves
Are light as balloons.
I make a great noise
Of rustling all day
Like rabbit and deer
Running away.
But the mountains I raise
Elude my embrace,
Flowing over my arms
And into my face.
I may load and unload
Again and again
Till I fill the whole shed,
And what have I then?
Next to nothing for weight,
And since they grew duller
From contact with earth,
Next to nothing for color.
Next to nothing for use.
But a crop is a crop,
And who's to say where
The harvest shall stop?

-Robert Frost

3 comments:

Becky K. said...

I like that!

Poetry says things in such a nifty way.

Happy Fall!

Becky K.

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

Loving it!! hugs..m..

Tea Time and Roses said...

Hello Dear Karen!

What a beautiful poem. I love the autumn season with all of its breezes and autumn colors.

I hope you and the family are enjoying a most beautiful weekend. I hear we will be getting some raindrops here in southern Cal later next week, that will be very nice. Take care and chat with you soon.:o)

Smiles...

Beverly