FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES

Dec 16, 2009

Trash Digging


"If I just dig a little deeper."

I grew up in a suburban area of Long Beach, California. On many mornings my best friend, Debbie, and I would get up before sunset on Trash Day. Pulling her red wagon, we foraged through trash bins, searching for those items that were "unbelievably" discarded. "What were they thinking?"

My parents weren't particularly thrilled about the neighbors seeing their teenage daughter sorting through the neighbors' trash. Surprisingly though, they permitted me to do it. 

Once the items were home, I would proudly display my prizes on our patio picnic table. Among my favorite finds were an old Brownie camera and a Interior Design book of fabric swatches. The camera didn't work but I loved the way it looked. And, the fabric samples were used for several years in various projects.

No comments: