FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES

Jun 30, 2010

Picnics and Curried Corn Salad

"I'm into all that sappy stuff — a surprise picnic, nice dinner, or traveling. I'm kind of an old romantic."
-Will Estes

The Long Beach Summer Concert Series began this week. Tonight's concert is being played in an older park with grassy knolls and a basin perfect for acoustics.  It's not far from the historic Rancho Los Cerritos, one of the few remaining 2-story adobes in Southern California.  As the sun slips away, beach breezes meander inland. It's a wonderful experience and the Long Beach Municipal Concert Band is top drawer!

I, too, am an "old romantic," especially when it comes to picnics. I had an elegant plan for tonight which defaulted to my family's schedule. So, instead I will be picking up shredded potato salad from a German deli. My parents are contributing sandwiches with a generous portion of hot roast beef.

So, next week I will be making the recipe below... 

Note: Like many of you, I have tried an embarrassing amount of diets in my life. The Fit for Life plan yielded no weight loss for me, but the recipes were delicious and satisfying. This recipe continues to be one of my favorites. 

CURRIED CORN SALAD
From “Fit for Life”
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cups diced red onion
  • 1 1/2 cups diced red pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups diced green bell pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 4 to 6 cups cooked corn
  • 1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • Ground rock salt
  • Freshly ground pepper (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional)
Heat oil in a large skillet.  Add onion and sauté for two minutes, stirring frequently.  Add red and green peppers and sauté, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes more.  Add curry powder, oregano, and turmeric and sauté briefly.

Combine corn and sautéed vegetables in a large bowl.  Stir in olives.  Add mayonnaise, salt and pepper to taste, and cilantro.  Stir well.  Refrigerate until serving.

Serves 6.

2 comments:

A Thrifty Mrs said...

That sounds delicious. I'll give it a try this weekend.

Charlotte said...

I remember they used to have picnics for various states in a park in Long Beach back in the 40s. We went to a couple of "Okie" picnics. (That's what we called them.) I had almost forgotten about that. I always liked Long Beach. A favorite memory of Long Beach was attending an Elvis Presley concert there in the 1950s.
Hugs,
Charlotte