FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES
{ Click the Blog Banner to return to the Main Page }

Sep 29, 2010

An Arm Wrestle and Bacon Crisp

Redbook Magazine, September 1933
Notice the lovely cover girl in this 1933 edition of Redbook Magazine. She shows no signs of donning a woolen sweater. Likewise, here in Southern California, Summer is having an arm wrestle with Fall. Our deserts cannot compete with our recent coastal temperatures! After hitting a record breaking 113˚ in Los Angeles on Monday, the heat has at least relented and loosened its grip for a few days. Hallelujah!

I hosted a Pampered Chef Open House on Saturday. It was called "Happy Fall Y'All." My Southern gal-pals inspired the name. {I like to think that I'm a little bit Southern by association.)

I thoroughly enjoyed the ladies who attended the event! They graced my home with their laughter, good conversation, and love for good food!

My husband, Barry, cooked up Paula Deen's "Bacon Crisp" for the event. An undeniable hit! We all made numerous trips to the buffet table. In fact, Barry did a take-two on Sunday! 

Paula Deen's cooking satisfies comfort food cravings to be sure. And, we were able to admit that many of her best recipes aren't exactly low in fat, cholesterol, or sugar. We were speculating that maybe Paula's body has already given out and the network is just superimposing her image into the cooking shows.

Below is the recipe. We did the quick version because it was so hot here, but I'm thinking the slow version might even be tastier. Let me know.

BACON CRISP
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan 
  • 1 sleeve buttery rectangular crackers (recommended: Waverly Wafers: here in California, I was only able to find Keebler Club Crackers) 
  • 1 pound sliced bacon cut in 1/2 
Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.

Place 1 teaspoon of the cheese on each cracker and wrap tightly with a strip of bacon. Place the wrapped crackers on a broiler rack on a baking sheet and put the baking sheets on the oven rack. Bake for 2 hours, or until the bacon is done. Do not turn. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot or at room temperature.

Cook's note: You can also bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes if you're in a hurry! 

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Yield: 24 bacon crisps
User Rating: 4 Stars

Episode#: PA0509
Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

7 comments:

Susy @ The Feathered Nest said...

As a recipient of your southern hospitality, I thoroughly enjoyed myself on Saturday KJ, and the bacon crisps were beyond yummy. Makes my mouth water just thinking about them. :)

Auntie Bliss said...

You are an honorary Southern person!!!
I want some bacon crisp. (when it cools off...whew what a summer!)

Charlotte said...

Sounds like a fun time. I love Paula Deen food. Just visited your post on the Long Beach Pike. The first time I remember going there I must have been about 9 years old. I loved it. I still have relatives living in Bellflower. We drove over to Artesia a few years ago. You're right. It is totally changed. I thought it was interesting that the people from India had taken over the place. The old school on Pioneer Blvd. was gone. We drove over to my old neighborhood and I had a hard time identifying it. They had changed the name of the street I lived on. It used to be Lincoln. They changed it to a number. I guess you can expect things to change a lot in over 60 years. In the 40s there were a few Mexicans and no Indians living there.
Yes, I've seen the coin flattening machines at Disneyland. I had just moved back to southern CA a month or two before Disneyland opened. Wow, that was quite an experience going there for the first time. I couldn't count the times I've been back there since. I still love to go there.
Thanks for the memories.
Hugs,
Charlotte

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

Sounds like so much fun and so very yummy.......m....

tea time and roses said...

Hello Karen,

First let me say, I peeked at one of your previous post...the baby is growing so big and cute as a button!:o)

Thanks for the recipe! Now that Autumn is settling in just a bit, I think, there will be lots more oven time. Has our weather here the past few days been hot or what! Now it decides on today to thunder...crazy mixed up weather for sure:o)

Your and your family enjoy a beautiful weekend.

Smiles♥

Beverly

Karen said...

Aren't these addictive?? I made them once before and they didn't last long! They're so yummy!

Renna said...

I feel for you, enduring that heat. We had one horrid summer here in northeast Texas. I'm happy to report that today was sunny, with temps in the low 70's. It felt delicious!

Speaking of delicious, that Paula Deen dish sounds delish. How funny, about her being super-imposed. I agree; how does she keep kicking, eating like that?

Ree, the Pioneer Woman, has a very similar recipe on her website, which I made a couple of years ago. It was so good, but I felt guilty with every bite. ;-Þ

PW said it was a popular dish she remembers her mom making for parties, when she was a kid. She calls it "Flashback: 1981 – Holiday Bacon Appetizers". Here's the link, if you want to compare them: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/12/flashback_1981_-_holiday_bacon_appetizers/