FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES

Sep 6, 2010

A Strong Whiff of Autumn

"Flowers" by Susan Branch
From Susan's "Willard" Newsletter
Happy Labor Day! Ovid said, "Take rest; a field that has rested gives a bountiful crop." We can all heed this instruction. And, our Southern California sunshine is being fanned by a cool breeze that has a strong whiff of autumn!

If I were a painter, my medium would be water colors — like Susan Branch. She seems to paint what lives in my head. I receive her email newsletter (she refers to it as a Willard) once or twice a month. It is an illustrated journal of her recent thoughts and exploits at Martha's Vineyard where she cavorts with neighbors, one of which is Martha Stewart.

"Enthusiasm" by Susan Branch
I so enjoy Susan's musings! In her recent edition she shares what "tea" is code for. There are delicious images of garden fruits meeting their destiny as jam.  And, she allows us to listen in on some neighborly banter.  Her site is well worth checking out.

As for me, I have no grand plans today, although I might slip back over to the Greek Festival in Long Beach with my son, Brock. I can't get enough lovingly prepared Moussaka, Pastichio, Dolmades (indescribable stuffed grape leaves), Pork Souvlaki, Baklava, and Loukoumades (deep fried Greek donut holes topped with honey syrup, walnuts, powdered sugar, or chocolate syrup)!

THAT'S IT!  WHERE ARE  MY KEYS!

5 comments:

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

I lived in Long Beach for next to Wardlow and Studabaker. I hope you had fun today, it sounds so good~~~
Ginger

Susy @ The Feathered Nest said...

I always enjoy everything you have to say KJ. You're a funny girl. Glad you enjoyed the Greek Festival; next time we'll have to sync our schedules. Blessings.

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

Love the pretty new fall header...m..

Karen June Miller said...

Ginger... I bet we crossed paths at some time in our lives!

Susy... Thanks and we'll make a point of it!

Mary... I have so much fun using the digital scrapbooking!

Ruth Welter said...

Hi KJ, thanks for sharing Susan's site, love her work...

I hope you had a very lovely holiday, can you believe in a couple of short weeks it will be fall already??

Ruth