FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES
{ Click the Blog Banner to return to the Main Page }

Oct 18, 2010

Balancing Act

I just looked at the date of my last post. Yikes! Did I blink or something? Well, I have been working on a more ambitious blog project. After tinkering with it for days, I acknowledged that I need to run the bigger projects in the background while posting smaller pieces. Live and learn.

I was listening to the Focus on the Family radio podcast today and Richard A. Swenson M.D., author of In Search of Balance - Keys to a Stable Life, was using humor to diagnose our changing times. He mentioned that it was predicted in 1967 that by 1987 people would be working 22-hour work weeks. Now, that's funny!

Max Lucado said, "We're the only nation in the world with a mountain named Rushmore." Mary Pipher was quoted as saying, "If we let culture just happen to us, we'll all end up exhausted, addicted, broke, with a houseful of junk and no time."

Statistics can be sobering. For instance, there is no proof that a man has ever been shot while doing the dishes. Men, take note!

Other Statistics:
  • 36% of Americans describe themselves as being rushed all the time.
  • We're interrupted 202 times a day.
  • We spend 8 months of our lives opening junk mail.
  • We spend one year of our life searching through the clutter on our desk for misplaced objects. Most missing items are just 10 inches away.
  • We spend 2 years of our lives trying to call people who aren't in or their lines are busy (or their just standing by the phone listening to us leave a message.)
  • The average American gets 2.5 hours less sleep than 100 years ago. Some of this is due to the invention of electricity. In 1850 people got 9.5 hours of sleep a night.
  • 50 to 70 million Americans have sleep disorders: 27% of Americans fell asleep while driving last year.
  • Migraine headaches are up 60% since the last decade.
  • Jennifer Glass, University of Iowa, discovered that it takes 20-30 phone calls in the average church to get the same number of volunteers it used to take 2-3 phone calls to get.
  • 85% of Christians do their praying on the run.
There are some who feel that balance is unachievable in our hustle-and-bustle, often overachieving times. I strongly disagree. As a Christian, I strive for balance every day through the Word of God and by partnering with the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit loves to interact with our days and ways. I wouldn't be surprised if he coined the phrase, "Work smarter, not harder."

5 comments:

Susy said...

Well hello! Glad to see you back. Those are interesting stats, and I agree that if we continually "check in" with God to keep on the right path, we won't exhaust ourselves or our resources. He's wired us for success.

Renna said...

Very interesting facts, Karen!

I know people who run themselves ragged, many in the name of 'doing the Lord's work'. They complain they don't have time for intimacy with God. I find that even 5 minutes spent just talking to God before I get out of bed in the mornings can be the difference in things falling into place, or falling apart for me that day. Jesus miraculously multiplied the food fed to the 5,000 (who were there seeking to hear Him), and He can multiply our time to allow us to get the things done that we need to do, and to which He has called us to do, if we but put Him first.

Auntie Bliss said...

Desk? What desk? :) Ohhh the cluttered desk of my mind. That one.
I need to do a crash dump regularly. Be still and listen for that voice.
My husband has a phrase you'll like. "Push your work, don't let your work push you"

Joyce said...

I read about myself in alot of your article.
And I only have one child at home..and he's 22! HA!
But I have friends that are WORSE off than me I just read what one of my good friends was describing as her "day" yesterday on FB and it's really upsetting. Way too much going on.
And yes I agree with Renna regarding "the Church" running itself ragged and crazy in the name of the Lord when mainly it's a bunch of "dead works."
Sadly.......
What's going on with us? It's mainly all distractions from our enemy.
But also we are all trying to finanically "survive" in this crazed and horrible economy.
I know that's mainly our issue. I work two part time jobs...and we are trying to start a new company since my husband lost his job.
We are consumed by paper work and mountains of "red tape" all the while still trying to pull in some income.
Heaven will be grand won't it?

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I love this post. So very helpful to me...hugs...m..