FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES
{ Click the Blog Banner to return to the Main Page }

Oct 1, 2010

Sell Your Umbrella

I was awakened by the percussion section of a rogue storm. Loud crashing symbols sounded overhead. Rain pummeled the pavement while sunshine splashed brightly in the background.

The Weather Channel did not prepare us for this. With our recent high temperatures in Southern California, this storm was a surprise.

As I was steeping some Sundae Parlour tea, I kept running like a small child to our giant picture window. I love weather! It has a way of putting things into perspective.

Christian author, Graham Cooke, autographed one of his books to me with, "Karen, it's going to rain. Sell your umbrella." I knew exactly what he meant. In the Bible, rain represents blessings.
If you live by my decrees and obediently keep my commandments, I will send the rains in their seasons, the ground will yield its crops and the trees of the field their fruit. You will thresh until the grape harvest and the grape harvest will continue until planting time; you'll have more than enough to eat and will live safe and secure in your land. -Leviticus 26:3-5 (MSG)
My family is in need of miracles right now and I truly don't want an umbrella coming between us and blessing. If it weren't for the lightning, I could have easily slipped out into the downpour and soaked up every drop!
Unrelenting disappointment leaves you heartsick, but a sudden good break can turn life around. -Proverbs 13:12 (MSG)
For several days, we have been praying for many sudden good breaks. The sudden occurrence of this rain proves how quickly things can change. As in the natural, so in the spiritual.


13 comments:

Susy @ The Feathered Nest said...

As my good friend says "I'm tellin' ya"

Wait passionately for God, don't leave the path. He'll give you your place in the sun...

Ps. 37:34 The Message Bible.

Hold steady! Through faith and patience (consistant response) we inherit the promises (: xoxoxoxo

Susy said...

P.S. I love what Graham Cooke wrote!

Becky K. said...

I am so very glad I came by. This is an awesome thought....God's blessings are not something to miss, are they?

Becky K.

Lallee said...

I hope the rain is a sign of new blessings right around the corner for you. In the meanwhile, may His grace be abundant toward you.

sister sheri said...

What a beautiful thought... considering I live in Portland... I will remember that rain = blessings!

Beverly said...

KJ, I've missed you. Somehow I had lost you, but now you're found. I was so glad to see your link on Spiritual Sunday.

I will definitely pray for you and your family. Rain always makes me feel showers of blessings. My spirit has been blessed by some real rain this past week, and we desperately needed every blessed drop.

Kaye Swain - SandwichINK for Grandparents and Caregivers said...

Thank you for the blessing of these encouraging Bible Verses. The Message can be such a good resource for all ages - I love it for my grandkids AND myself! :) You are in my prayers.

sarah said...

I love the rain...especially when it's downpour....praying for His rain to come down and give your famiy the miracles you all need...

Donnie said...

Lovely comments KJ, I hope the rain was a sign of hope and encouragement. You all will be in my prayers.

micey said...

praying for it to pour on you!

Renna said...

What a beautiful and thought-provoking post. I, too, get very excited by weather, especially a good storm.

As a child, I lived in Oklahoma, aka~Tornado Alley. I was terrified of tornadoes. In the summer, it seemed the local sirens blew nightly. I would lie awake in my bed, quite certain a tornado was going to blow our house away, just like Dorothy's, in the Wizard of Oz.

I would run to my mother's room in fear. She'd say "just go to sleep, we'll be fine". I never understood how she could be so calm! Well into my adulthood, I was delivered of that fear. I guess my liberty came though my knowledge and awareness that we, as children of God, have the authority to speak to the winds, just as Christ did. I no longer fear tornadoes, though I do command them away from the ground!

Graham Cooke is one of my favorite authors and speakers. That quote sounds so much like him!

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

I will keep you and your family in my prayers. I live in Corona and I say a rainbow 3 days in a row.Thursday, Friday and Sat. Thursday was a double rainbow.
Praying for you,
Ginger

Charlotte said...

What a beautiful post. I love the umbrella illustration. Showers of blessings is my prayer for you.
Blessings,
Charlotte