FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES
{ Click the Blog Banner to return to the Main Page }

Oct 23, 2010

Day to Day


Like so many of you, my first inclination at the first signs of Fall is to cozy up the house, put some logs on the fire, and break out the comfort foods. Yet, when trials coincide with this season, stress can be a scene stealer.

Barry and I are not the only ones facing huge challenges right now. Almost daily, I am hearing reports and receiving prayer requests that can only be remedied by God's miraculous provision. Two days ago, I found out that 4 of my close friends lost their jobs! And, my own family is facing crucial financial deadlines that threaten to upturn our lives.

Years ago, after enduring a 7-year cycle of layoffs, my husband found himself deferring pleasure until things returned to normal. "Normal" never came and he was forced to acknowledge that precious opportunities were being wasted. As Margaret Bonnano put it, "It is only possible to live happily-ever-after on a day-to-day basis."

I refuse to dispense with living: even in the midst of trials! Thankfully, there are some weight lifting anecdotes for heavy burdens!

Psalm 55:22 (The Message) says, "Pile your troubles on God's shoulders — he'll carry your load, he'll help you out. He'll never let good people topple into ruin." God never intended us to be pack mules buckling with burdens. 1 Peter 5:7 (The Message) tells us to, "Live carefree before God; he is most careful with you."

But here's what really keeps us from sinking. In Matthew 14:22-36 (NKJ), the disciples were being battered with waves at sea. They were terrified when they saw what they thought to be a ghost walking across the water.

27 But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."
28 "Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water."
29 "Come," he said."

Peter obeyed, but he didn't walk on water: he walked on the Word. And, even when Peter began to focus on the mind-blowing nature of his circumstances, Jesus immediately rescued him as he began to sink!

This speaks volumes to us! First, the Word keeps us buoyant! Secondly, God never abandons us. He is always offering a steadying hand when we lose our sea legs!

My husband and I are taking God's Word personally by declaring what Scripture says and inserting our names into it. We are making daily Faith withdrawals from the Bank of Heaven! As we lift Him up, He lifts us up! Our spirits become peaceful; and despite imperfection, we are able to take pleasure in each day!


14 comments:

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

June, I will pray for you and your husband. Yes, so many people are in this citation.People say it's getting better, I haven't seen it yet.I love this comment you made in your post that your making daily Faith withdrawals from the Bank of Heaven! I just love that!
God Bless,
Ginger

Ruth said...

Dear Karen, what a beautiful post...thank you for so encouraging and inspiring!

Blessings,
Ruth

sarah said...

Wow Karen...this is packed with so much powerful faith.

Susy said...

I'm believing with you that He will perform His word as promised. The Word has within itself, the power to reproduce itself. Hold steady my friend.

Kat said...

Wow! A big WOW for this post! So very true. Aren't we blessed to know that no matter what God is in control and holds us in his righteous right hand. Wonderful post! Love the quote "It is only possible to live happily-ever-after on a day-to-day basis." (I'm borrowing that one.)

BTW...love your blog look and your song sections!

Hugs,
Kat

Clif said...

Great post. Thanks for posting. Have a great week.

Charlotte said...

Great insight shown here. Thank you for sharing it with us. And thank you for the nice comment you made about me on facebook.
Blessings,
Charlotte

pam said...

Great post. We're facing the death of our business. So thankful that He sees the way that is to come. You do everything right, work hard, take care of employees well and be honest in all dealings...and it gets you no where in today's economy. So thankful we can choose to set our gaze on Him. He makes a way in the wilderness and a river in the desert. Hanging on to His Word and speaking it forth is so good. Thanking Him for the answers He has for your family and ours.

Donnie said...

Such a dramatic post. I will keeping you all in my prayers. We all benefit so much from Spiritual Sunday's. Have a blessed week.

Michele Williams said...

Great insight in your writing. Thank you for sharing. Blessings..

Judy Hartman said...

Karen, your courage and faith are inspiring. I'm so sorry that things have been difficult, but I admire your belief and positive attitude. Be well, my friend.
xoxo

Joyce said...

Karen,
Thanks so much calling last week and encouraging me and my husband when you yourselves are in a pickle.
But GOD!
He is about all these things and is NEVER late......sometimes it gets pretty close to the edge...but He will rescue you/us! I've learned this from past experience and I put ALL my trust in Him and Him alone.
Keep me posted.
I love and appreciate you very much, your a great long distance friend!
Joyce

NeereAnDear said...

WOW is all I can say about this post... WOW..

HUGS
JO

Jojo Caramel said...

Big thoughts for you and your family Karen.