FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES
{ Click the Blog Banner to return to the Main Page }

Dec 18, 2010

Our Soon-To-Be-Ida-Home


We will be spending Christmas Day at the home of my parents here in Southern California. On the 30th of December, I will be driving from California to Idaho accompanied by our 2 sons. My husband should be joining us with the U-Haul by January 10th.

I am posting from a borrowed apartment with rain splattering the windows. The apartment is directly below a landing path for the Long Beach Airport, so airplanes sound startling close. Christmas ambiance is being provided by the Hallmark Channel. Our necessities are in boxes that surround our beds and all else is in public storage.

Meanwhile, Barry (my hubby) is sitting by a pot bellied stove in Idaho City, Idaho: elevation 3,906 feet. He is enjoying a fully decorated Christmas tree in a gorgeous home covered by snowfall. And, he is being lavished by the hospitality of our dear friend, Danny.

Barry flew up to Boise on Friday to meet with his new boss and to "spy out the land," as Joyce Mahan worded it. He's never been to Idaho, so this truly is an adventure that has him laughing and chattering with boyish enthusiasm.

Via telephone, he described the herds of deer; the church we would be attending; his first mom-and-pop breakfast; and the layout of Idaho City, an old gold mining town. He cautioned me that I would need studded tires driving from Boise up into the mountain communities. (I silently wondered if he would still be flying home tomorrow.)

A few days ago, Danny asked me if I was born and raised in California. I replied with a smidgen of pride, "Yes, I am!" Danny quickly answered, "Don't tell anybody." Hence, my husband has already pinpointed the nearest Sheriff's Station so that I can take the written driver's test and immediately dress my car in Idaho plates.

And, as if landing a job on his first effort OR already having a place to stay as we forge a fresh start in Idaho isn't enough, Barry had an epiphany with Danny's neighbors. They popped by for a visit. As Barry introduced himself, he discovered that they hail from the farm community of Hamburg, Pennsylvania which is located about 20 miles north of Reading, PA . . . BARRY'S HOMETOWN! Surely, this was a sign!

5 comments:

The HopeChest said...

My blessings and good wishes go with you. It is sounding like the beginning of a great adventure, with more to follow. I will love hearing about it.
Hugs back, Marsha

NeereAnDear said...

Wow Kj ... what a fabulous adventure and that it all fell into place right down to a street named Idaho is amazing!!

I truly cant wait to hear all about life from an altitude of 3,000 and some odd feet...

Baking ... cooking ...writing ... lots of trees... herds of deer and a new church... sounds exciting!!

Will be looking forward to a lot of new stories

HUGS AND MERRY CHRISTMAS!
JO

Cyndi Evans said...

Tell Barry man..to study the driving test book well..we failed the PA written test the first time..THINGS are much different in snow covered states!!

Joyce said...

IT sounds to me as if "everything is lining up"..and I am happy for you all.
Just hoping that you get some "long underware" in your stocking this Christmas!!!!
HA!
Keep us posted as to when the departure day is...departing out of Cali and heading for the "Land of Promise."
Very excited for you all.

BailiwickStudio said...

I've just been catching up on all your happenings! Wow! Some friends of ours moved to Idaho a year ago and they love it. Even though it's bound to be totally different from here, I'm sure you'll find it to be everything you didn't even know you were missing. It sounds good to me!

Merry Christmas, and I wish you a safe and trouble-free move.
xo Jill