FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES
{ Click the Blog Banner to return to the Main Page }

Jan 19, 2013

A Stitch in Time Saves Nine

I enjoyed a renewal letter from Jocelyn Donnellon, Circulation Manager at MaryJanesFarm. She made clever use of this old English proverb...
A Stitch in Time Saves Nine 
I first heard that adage from my grandmother as she was sewing a loose button on my grandfather's favorite workshirt. 
I soon learned that "a stitch in time" applies to a lot more than sewing! Whether it's pulling weeds while they're still small, oiling that squeaky screen door hinge, or brushing leaves out of the gutter each fall, we farmgirls know the wisdom of not putting off 'til tomorrow what you can do today.
I was not inclined to renew since I had just payed for my subscription, but the subject matter was timely.

Where I prefer to avoid those extra "nine" stitches, my hubby feels procrastination is his biggest challenge. I could major on his inaction since it has often put a dent in my bliss, but God is good at turning the tables.
Whosoever thou art that dost another wrong, do but turn the tables: imagine thy neighbour were now playing thy game, and thou his. -Robert Sanderson's XII sermons, 1634
I may be more proactive, but I was still putting something off. Something big, in fact. My dreams! I had settled for too much incubation and not enough hatching. I knew that procrastination is a thief of time, but I needed to recognize that it was frustrating my future.

God gave me a personal pep talk. JUST START! So, I did. I began purging, streamlining, and tackling projects. Self-discipline kicked in. A path has been cleared and my dreams are taking shape on a storyboard! I call this a substantial stitch!

Don’t procrastinate—
there’s no time to lose.
Run like a deer from the hunter,
fly like a bird from the trapper!
—Proverbs 6:4, 5 (The Message)

ACT: Action Changes Things!

1 comment:

Susy said...

Yaaaayyy! Hooray!! Give me a KAAAY!! <<<< I'm being a cheerleader (**

I'm hoping 'you know what' is on your storyboard. xo