FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES

Jun 11, 2013

Mind Travels

The Old Courthouse | Idaho City, ID

curiosity: 
the desire to learn or know about anything; inquisitiveness. 

Curiosity is a catalyst in my life. I remember, as a wee lass, being told not to enter a bedroom in my Nana and Papa's Spanish stucco home. That bedroom door became the biggest distraction for me. I must have walked down that short hallway a dozen times before I finally entered the room. To my disappointment, all that awaited me was a spanking.

Of course, being told "no" seems to naturally incite human desire, but I'm talking about inquisitiveness as a way of life. That burning need to know the whys of things and then to make it part of our own experience.

Just this week, I observed sunlight illuminate the crushed diamonds in drill bits (used for mining). I studied the anatomy of an old phonograph. Two museum guests showed me how ham radios work, and a Cajun couple shared the difference between Cajun and Creole cooking. "It's not so much what you cook, but how you cook it," they said as we parted ways.

I have often said that if people are bored, it's their own faults — especially with today's overstimulation. There is way too much information to cram into one lifetime, but I am working on it.

Curiously yours,

    

1 comment:

cajunville said...

Karen, we enjoyed visiting with you and learning about Idaho City and its history.