FAITH-FILLED LIVING | SWEET TREASURES | SIMPLE PLEASURES
{ Click the Blog Banner to return to the Main Page }

Jan 19, 2014

Mindful Eating



POTLUCKS AND DIETS

I look forward to women's ministry potlucks. The food is scrumptious and the conversation entertaining. The topics of religion and politics rarely create problems because we most often agree. I cringe, however, when an enthusiastic dieter uses mealtime to detail their latest diet and weight loss — usually while abstaining from what the rest of us are enjoying. I can sweep my eyes around the table and see people becoming more aware of their plates. And there are plenty of leftovers.

I mentioned this scenario to my husband and his reply was, "You sure don't have this problem at men's retreats."

My internal dialogue does not wish the dieter failure, but I am predicting that the diet will end soon and the weight will return. I am usually right. Being that most diets are unnatural in the first place, they are almost doomed to failure.

PAST

I was a chunky toddler when it was considered healthy to be so. In later years, it was discovered that early weight determines how one will deal with pounds for the rest of their life. For me, that was true. I have always struggled with weight gain; and I am certain that Wonder and Weber's bread were not my friends.

I have tried most popular diets, only to have my success erode as soon as I got bored and let up on the restrictions. In fact, I hate the word "diet" because I enjoy the diversity, culture, and creativity of food too much to abandon an entire food group, eat like a caveman, or pretend to like Chicharrón (fried pork rinds.)

PRESENT

My ultimate desire is to experience real food without deprivation. Yes, life is too short to be fat, but it is also too short not to enjoy the bountiful food choices that God saw fit to stock the planet with.

I have concluded that my healthy pursuit needs to focus on balance and better habits. So, I am not on a diet. I am not following a prescribed meal plan. I am not counting calories or weighing food. I am simply forging a healthier relationship with fresh, in-season, whole, organic, and unprocessed food. I am employing habits that slow down and increase the pleasure-factor of eating, while bringing my body back to a healthy rhythm.

I am grateful to authors Michael Polan (Cooked, Food Rules: An Eater's Manual, and In Defense of Food) and Darya Pino Rose (Foodist) for offering common sense and affirmation. Due to their illumination, I am employing the following new habits...

Eating
     26 Chews while Utensils are Parked
     Less Distraction
     Mindful Eating
     Enjoyment
     
Shopping
     Farmers Market
     Whole Foods
     Organic Food Co-ops
     Homegrown
     Frozen when Fresh is Unavailable

Cafe Karen
     Real Food and Seasonal Ingredients
     Minimal Processed Food (especially sugar and flour)
     Batch Cooking
     Advance Preparation
     A High Protein Breakfast
     Meals of 50% Vegetables
     Fruit as Snacks
     Palm Sized Meat, Fish, and Poultry Portions
     Non-Sugared Beverages
     Sweets: Worth-the-splurge

Dining Out
     Dining: Worth-the-Splurge

Movement
     1000 Footsteps (with the aide of a FitBit)
     Strengthening Exercises

Mindfully,

1 comment:

Cyndi Evans said...

I am following a program of eating Take Shape for Life. Lost 15 lbs in 6 weeks and 13 inches!

Glad that you found something that works for you!